VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I smelt burning oil a few weeks back, found it was my valve cover gasket. Replaced it and drove for about two weeks. Everything was good, no oil leaks or anything.
I went out this morning to start my car (it was about -2 degrees out). Came back out ten minutes later and its pouring white smoke out of the exhaust and sounded like it wanted to die. The vaccuum pressure was jumping from 12-14Hg.
So I parked in my garage turned the heat on and left for work in a diff car.
Came home from work, drained my catch can and started her up. still smoking pretty bad and when I backed it out there was a puddle of oil left, So i jacked it up and I cant seem to find where its leaking from. Its running down the side of the tranny though..
Thanks for the help in advance
[/URL][/IMG]
This was after I started it this morning.

[/URL][/IMG]

Puddles of oil it left after sitting for 8 hours

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
yes, my cam tensioner one leaks, i just filled the hole with rtv silicon. you have to pull the tensioner and cams to change it, although i think someone on here has a way to do it without taking the cams out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's possible to change the gasket and half moon seal without removing the cams. You do need the cam adjuster compressor tool.

It's a tight squeeze but possible. I posted the procedure somewhere here a few years back. Try using the search function.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Use the search function and enter "cam adjuster seal" in the search box.

Make sure to use the quotes.

Scroll down and you can find the procedure I posted on how to change the seals with the cams installed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks a ton.
It seems like it stopped leaking.. or slowed down a lot because its not leaving puddles anymore and I cant smell it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts