VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the clutch in my 1987 golf it's a 8v engine with a 16v trans. I also replaced the release bearing, seal on push rod, presure plate, plate and clip on preasure plate, passenger axle, and clutch cable. When the manual adjusting cable is not adjusted the pedal stays to the floor, when adjusted the pedal is hard as hell and either way will not go in gear. I have a feeling there could be an issue with the release bearing or clutch arm. When I move the clutch lever on the trans it feels smooth but with little resistance. It almost feels like the pushrod isn't even touching the preasure plate. I have taken the trans out 6 times in the past week looking over everything I have never encountered this problem. Someone help me before I take a bath with my toaster...
thanks Rando
today i replaced the finger that pushes the release bearing the old one was fine.... i still have the end of the tranny off. the push rod is 13 3/8" could that be worn? and only a 1/2" inch of the rod is exposed when pushed all the way in against the plate. im thinking the push rod isn't making enough contact with the plate
[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: RandoCommando13 ]

[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: RandoCommando13 ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
okay, first off is it a self adjusting cable or is it manual adjust? and if it's manual adjust how are you adjusting it. keep turning it out a few turns at a time until it feels good. Maybe the cable is bad. give me some more info and i'll try to help you more.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Throw some punctuation into your question so I can get a better feel of what you're talking about. All the parts you say you replaced kinda run together, so I'm not quite sure what you did.

So you have a 16v tranny... and I'm guessing you're using a 16v clutch disc. Otherwise you'd probably never get the tranny in. If you used a 16v disc with an 8v tranny you'd get a nice grinding sound when you pushed in the clutch.

I think you said you replaced the release bearing. Next time you have the tranny out push in the push rod, then pull up on the release lever... make sure it moves super smooth. Also pull out the release rod. It should be nice and round on both sides. Now roll it cross a flat surface (glass) and make sure it's strait. They can bend, and it will cause something like your problem.

Check your pedal cluster, the ear that holds the end of the cable where it comes through the firewall sometimes breaks and causes really stupid stuff to happen to the clutch.

That's all I can think of. Check these things, let us know if it's still messed up.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Much better. The only other thing I can come up with would be that the finger that pushes the release bearing in can sometimes crack and move on the shaft splines, making it so you have no real clutch movement. It's kind of rare, but it happens. Check all the things I listed above in my last post, then move onto this one. So long as you got everything put together correctly there shouldn't be a problem... or something really screwy is happening.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts