VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow vw lovers. I damaged my mk4jetta 1.8t wolfsburg and I need some help figuring out what parts need to be replaced. Long story short, I hit a large curb on the front right wheel and it caused multiple parts to bend and distort. So now my half shaft is not straight anymore and it grinds on metal only at about 180degrees of its rotation.
With these pictures I was hoping I could be told which parts need to be replaced so my half shaft no longer grinds and everything is aligned back to how it was.
Anyways, here are the obvious parts that need to be replaced.
Control arm (will this align the half shaft back to normal?)
Push Rod (it is messed up!)
dog bone mount

My strut looked fine to me.

Before the turn.

After 180degree turn of the wheel. This is how I could tell my half shaft is bent :(

I guess my main question is: If I replace the control arm, dog bone mount, and half shaft, will everything be aligned like normal with no more grinding?? My vw cant be driven at all.
Thanks for any help and if you need more information or pictures, even a video, feel free to ask! Have a great day!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow, that looks pretty bad. At this point I would replace the entire suspension on that side as it looks like you hit pretty hard. Tie rod, axle, and sway bar endlink, and looks like control arm bushings are damaged which means your control arm is probably screwed as well. You might want to see if the subframe is bent as well or shifted since it holds your control arm into place.. While your at it, see if there is any play in the wheel incase you blew out your wheel bearing as well. How fast were you going??

Oh and your going to need alignment afterwards and it still might not line up right with that kind of impact.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
tie rod, control arm, sway bar end link, check the knuckle to make sure thats not bent or cracked anywhere. i would go from there. the axle may be ok and its the combination of the tie rod and control arm thats pushing it into whatever its rubbing against

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!
Sub frame surprisingly looks ok & same with the knuckle but I will have a better inspection on the knuckle tomorrow. It is not cracked, might be bent, no obvious indications with it.
I was traveling about 20-25. Curb I hit put alot of inward pressure on the wheel and caused all the damage you see.
Will replacing the tie rod and axle be difficult? Any special tools??
Ordering control arm right now. Thanks again for the replies, it really helps.

It's been one of the days for me when you feel like a complete pile of crap.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Haha, been there, done that.

So the axle you will need a special triple square bit and a 30mm socket.
More info here-http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/mkiv-axles-spindles-diy-53161/

Tierod's can be a pain, I had to cut mine off with a hack saw last time i did them.. There's some guides out there for how to go about doing it.

Also when you replace your sway bar endlink and control arm, get new stretch bolts. They get brittle after you tighten them down and like to snap. I just finished helicoiling my control arm because I had one snap off from reusing old bolts.

The first time doing suspension work can be intimidating, but it really isnt hard IF*** you have the right tools and watch a few guides before you start.

Key advice, get the right tool and don't force anything, or you will regret it. Also getting a book with all the torque specs will probably be a good idea.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Replace everything besides the struts. I would be surprised if your subframe did not shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts