VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it has been quite a while. Long story short is girlfriends car crapped out finally and I'm bringing Joan Jetta back in commission. She's been stored for a few years now waiting for me to get the time to do a timing chain replacement. Last time I had her running was earlier this last spring and she started up just fine after getting the battery charged and I let it run until she was out of gas. So, last night I dumped around nine U.S. gallons of fuel in the tank and got the battery charged up. And this is where the problem begins....

I should probably add that Joan is a 1997 GLX VR6 auto.

Main thing is she doesn't seem like she's getting any gas. She just turns over and over and over. I sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the throttle body to get it cleaned out a bit and after doing that she will run off of the cleaner for a couple seconds then nothing. The weird thing is that I know there is at least 9 gallons of gas in the tank and the gauge is still reading empty, not sure if there is a connection there but I just found it odd since it was not doing that before. I've checked all of the fuses and everything else I could think of (fuel lines and whatnot) and haven't found any obvious problems. The only other thing I can think of besides the fuel pump crapping out on me is some wiring going out somewhere in the aftermarket remote start system (not sure if there is a fuel shutoff built in the system somewhere). There is however a clusterf&%k of wiring under the dash from whoever owned her before me having the remote start installed. Frankly I'm stumped and am hoping someone could point me in some other directions for other things to check out before dropping the gas tank. Honestly after hanging around her for a bit today I realized I actually miss driving her quite a bit so I'm getting a little anxious to get her running again.

Anything is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is kind of an older post so i dont know if u fixed the problem. on some vws when the battery dies it shuts down the factory security system and i believe ur model when this happens has a shut off to the fuel pump. my golfs security system shut down and wouldn't allow power to my starter i had to bypass it to get power to my starter. does your fuel pump start up when u turn your key to the on position

·
Registered
6 Posts
after thought... if ur fuel pump doesn't turn on when u turn the key to the on position get a battery and jumper cables hook the cables up to the battery, ground the negative cable and touch the positive to the fuel pump to see if it starts. just bump it to see if it starts don't hold the cable on the pump. if it doesn't u need a new fuel pump

1 - 3 of 3 Posts