VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of my tires on my 2001 Wolfsburg 16" BBS rims are starting to wear down, and need replacing soon.
If anyone can point me to an online retailer that has good prices for these tires I would greatly appericate it.

Also, if you know the wheel/tire specs can you post them. I forgot the measurements. Danke!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
THe BBS RXII's that come on the WE Jetta's are 16x6.5

I wouldn't go with another stock tire either if your already spending the $$$, I would go with a good high performance all season if you need one set all year like the Sumitomo HTR+, or a set of summer only and a seperate set of winter only tires. I run 225/50/16 Yokohama AVS ES100's for summer, and 205/60/15 Michelin XGTH4's for winter on VW's 15" Avus wheels.

[ December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Summer & Winter aren't really a factor in Atlanta. A good highway/rain tire would suit fine.

Any idea of prices I can expect for these kind of tires? I only need 2.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by psycht:
Summer & Winter aren't really a factor in Atlanta. A good highway/rain tire would suit fine.

Any idea of prices I can expect for these kind of tires? I only need 2.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I paid about $98 per tire for the AVS ES100's + shipping last spring, but now they are on www.tirerack.com in 225/50/16 for only $83 per tire. I would buy all 4 at once though, I think this is the best handling mod I have done so far to the car and was actually the first thing I did to the car. I highly recommend getting rid of the stock tires all together. Here is a review I posted earlier of my Yokohama's and these are the tires I would recommend if you don't get snow there.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Yokohama AVS ES100's 225/50/16 - Well IMO, I am very impressed with these tires. I like them a lot better than the Kumho's I got last summer, and will probably buy another set of these for next year.

The tires seem to perform about the same as the Kumhos, just as sticky or possibly a bit stickier, and handling is very good. The dry traction is great, and a massive improvement over the winter tires I have had on and certainly much better than the stock tires. They also seem much more predictable when they start to break away than the Kumho's were.

The wet traction (it was pouring this morning on the way to work) is great as I was zooming along at 80mph on the open highway this morning to work and noticed no hydroplaning at all. After I get off the highway, I have about 10 miles of back roads that I take to avoid traffic, that never have traffic and have some great twisties. I usually test out new suspension/brake/tire mods here as you can see all the way around the turns so you know to slow down for oncoming traffic. It has some low speed tight corners that are perfect for the top of second gear that I can usually do some small drifts around when you let off the throttle, and I found it very difficult to break the car loose on the turns despite the down pour. I am very happy with this.

The tires also have less road noise than the Kumho's. The noise is about the same as my winter Mich. XGTH4's that are on my Avus wheels. Something I noticed about my Kumho's that I don't notice now is the car used to track and pull from side to side when I hit inconsistencies (spell?) on the roads surface, usually open highway at cruising speeds, and I really didn't like this. I experience none of this with the ES100's.

Also, I really like the side walls on the Yokohama's. The way they are designed is that there is a lip of rubber around the edge of the wheel that also protects it from curbs and accidental damage to the wheel. I like this a lot. It also for some reason has the sidewall designed so that it looks and appears to be a much lower profile tire than it actually is (this is great for the looks of the tire, which is not very important but a nice perk).

IMO, these tires are a great value, and unless you are concerned with cutting a few tenths off your track times, these are the tires everyone should be buying instead of the mid and high end tires like the S03's, GY Eagle F1's, etc. I see so many people that are pressed on buying tires that are $180+ per tire, and it just isn't worth it unless you are honestly a good enough driver to push your car to it's limits and are competing in track events where 2/10ths of a second difference with tires may mean a win/loss.

They perform about the same as Kumho's, maybe a little better when it comes to dry surfaces, but the other perks I mentioned above I feel make them a beter value. Plus they have a wear rating of 280 so I hope to get at least 20,000 miles of abuse and a few Autox's out of them this summer.

Did I mention that the tread pattern looks pretty badass too, much better than the Kumho's? Hopefully some pics will follow as soon as the weather breaks and I can get a camera.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a pic of the tread.

[ December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts