VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup all i was just wondering if anybody in here knows what all i got to do to get a euro spec golf legal so i can bring it back to the states with me, i know i probly got to change out the bumpers and the glass but anything else i have no clue and i have no clue about where to go to find out. o yea it a 1987. thanks

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I would think just about everything would be ok in the states. US dubbers make their dubs "euro spec"...but I would check with local and national athorities on that if I were you. hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
What are the differences in the euro vw us spec cars other than emmision requirements. I'd think that there are safety regulations as well. Anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes there is a differance, the ones ive been told about is the glass, its tempered not saftey glass. and also the bumpers are not 5mph crash. i know there are more i just dont know of any.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Does the cost of replacing all these parts + shipping + tariffs (if any) worth bringing over a 16 year old car? It doesn't add up.

Is it heavily modified; hold tons of sentimental value or is this a business move?

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
military my man. hahaha they pay for every thing but getting it legal in the states and i figured i had it, might as well take it back with me (military dont pay that much plus it will give me something to drive while my truck is in the shop)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had this from someone before. I don't know how true it is, but there are some links you might be able to use:

I did a lot of reasearch on this. I wanted to get the Si Type-R.
"If what I learned is correct, the only way to get a non-conforming vehicle in is through a government registered importer. "

This is true. There are called Independent Comercial Importes or ICI for short. Thay have to be regestered with the EPA to convert cars. They also have to have a 'certificate' saying that they can convert the car you are trying to import. Thus not every ICI can import the car your after. Some ICI's only do M-Benz and BMW and such. Others only do motor cycles.

This is a part of an e-mail I got from an ICI:
"The known costs associated with this importation are:

EPA Emissions testing $2,800 (flat rate, all cars, no fee for retesting if
necessary)
EPA Certification $1,000 (required on all vehicles not yet 6 years old)
DOT Petitioning $ 800 (required to federalize the vehicle)

What I do not know is what are the costs associated with DOT (parts and labor), and EPA (parts and labor) conversions. EPA requirements could be as high as $15,000 - or as low as $2,000 - I just don't know."

thats $4,600 just for the testing.
$2,000 to $15,000 for parts and labor.
2.5% import tax by Customs.
$800 to figure out how to get the car to US spec, if not known.
$1,500 to $2,000 shipping cost to the ICI from Europe or Japan.
$500 to get it to you from the ICI.

So, thoes are the figures.

It really depends on the car.

Here are a couple of good sites to read:
Customs: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm
EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm
ICI list(PDF): http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

good luck

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Different states have different laws as far as emissions go, I would check with whatever state you're moving to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily:
I had this from someone before. I don't know how true it is, but there are some links you might be able to use:

I did a lot of reasearch on this. I wanted to get the Si Type-R.
"If what I learned is correct, the only way to get a non-conforming vehicle in is through a government registered importer. "

This is true. There are called Independent Comercial Importes or ICI for short. Thay have to be regestered with the EPA to convert cars. They also have to have a 'certificate' saying that they can convert the car you are trying to import. Thus not every ICI can import the car your after. Some ICI's only do M-Benz and BMW and such. Others only do motor cycles.

This is a part of an e-mail I got from an ICI:
"The known costs associated with this importation are:

EPA Emissions testing $2,800 (flat rate, all cars, no fee for retesting if
necessary)
EPA Certification $1,000 (required on all vehicles not yet 6 years old)
DOT Petitioning $ 800 (required to federalize the vehicle)

What I do not know is what are the costs associated with DOT (parts and labor), and EPA (parts and labor) conversions. EPA requirements could be as high as $15,000 - or as low as $2,000 - I just don't know."

thats $4,600 just for the testing.
$2,000 to $15,000 for parts and labor.
2.5% import tax by Customs.
$800 to figure out how to get the car to US spec, if not known.
$1,500 to $2,000 shipping cost to the ICI from Europe or Japan.
$500 to get it to you from the ICI.

So, thoes are the figures.

It really depends on the car.

Here are a couple of good sites to read:
Customs: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm
EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm
ICI list(PDF): http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

good luck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

most of this dont apply to me cause the military will ship it for me, perks of serving i guess lol, and cause of how old it is pretty much all i got to worry about is getting it legal, the emissions, bumpers, glass, and the lights (thanks for the info djvibe) but the links helped alot thanks, anymore info will be great, i got to go register the car in my name next week (i bought it off a friend and he still had insurance on it and they wouldnt give him a refund so he told me to drive it till it ran out) so i will just ask them what all i got to do thanks for all the info from everyone

as soon as i can get my cam to work ill post a pic of the 1.4 liter engine cause apparently they dont have it in the states its stock but i would like to know the diffrance. the body pretty much looks like us spec, but then again i never really looked at dubs till i got over here, it would also help to learn how to read german so i can read the damn owners manual lol laters

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you go to vehicle registration ask them for the guidelines to ship it back to the states. You'll have to verify all the crash safety requirements (You may even have to change out the door panels due to the different european construction) The easiest way to get a european car back to the states is to get on that is 20= years old. That way you can ship it as is no mods(historical Vehicle)Oh yeah you'll have to change out you odometer to M.P.H, along with the Headlights.
Good luck
John in mannehim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts