VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.0L 8v in my GTI right now, and if i cant sell it within the next couple months then i want to get some serious power gains out of it. I have a couple of options: swapping in a VR6, getting a turbo kit for the 8v, or i was looking at the Neuspeed s/c. Has anyone had any experience with this product? In terms of reliability would the supercharger be better then a turbo kit? Is ABD's 8v kit any good? Any info would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, i'd say the neuspeed s/c would have better results than a VR swap, and cheaper too. The Neuspeed Supercharger kit is only a little over $2000..and its all inclusive i think. Granted you may need to strengthen certain aspects of the engine...but i considered it myself and i think it would be the most rewarding for the money.

As far as turbos..yea more power but you start to lose driveability..i.e. you'll be governed by engine temps and mandrel tubing

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
As far as power is concerned, the turbo kit will yeild the most. The VR6 swap would probably be second with power in mind, and then the SC, I believe Nuespeed's unit yeilds about 150-160hp (someone correct me please, if I'm wrong). I think the turbo kit will be the most expensive, with the SC second, and then the VR swap. Tou have to keep in mind that they, nmore the most part, are different beasts. Normally aspirated, to forced induction with lag, and the latter with low boost (...but no lag...). I have spoken to ABD about there turbo kit, and from the sounds of it, it is a very complete kit making good power. If your budget is a little more flexible, that is the route I would go.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Neuspeed claims a 50% horsepower gain with the addition of the supercharger...which if you have an mk3 2.oL you should put out 170-175 according to Neuspeeds claim. personally if i had an mk3 id go for a ABD turbo kit...but thats just me...good luck in your quest for forced induction brah

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
IMO vr swap is stupid, why swap it when u can buy the car with the engine? Wouldnt be custom or anything, turbo the 2.0 but do it right, avoid kits unless its APT, custom set ups yield the best power but cost more. Your pockets directly affect your options, with a little more info we would tell you what numbers your lookinig at for that amount.

Hardly anybody runs the neuspeed supers, so It makes me think they cant be too good...

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. As far as turbo kits, I've heard (from this site no less) that kits are better because sometimes peicing a custom one together can really screw you money wise. And I've only seen like 2 VW's in person with the Neuspeed s/c, but then again ive only seen a few turbo 8v's in person. With the supercharger though shouldnt you be able to get some decent gains out performance pulleys? Another plus with the supercharger is that its bolt on and i could do it with my friend. But if i can find a VR for under 1600 ill be doing that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
super charger would be the most reliable, but turbo would give you the biggest gain and further options to upgrade. My buddy has the ATP kit on his 2.0 and it's awesome. That kit gives you about 200hp and costs around 3 grand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You don't want to do the VR6 swap. Mechanically it's not to bad but it becomes an electrical nightmare and can become very expensive.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Word back from a local dyno test today. A Neuspeed supercharged 2.0 was there... making an incredibly sad 115hp to the wheels.

I'm sure there's a lot more to be had from this kit... and I'm sure it maintains factory reliability (since the eaton S/C lasts and lasts), but this person obviously didn't have it figured out. Sucks that it costs WAY too much.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea 115hp to the wheels is pretty pathetic for a $2500 upgrade. Im guessing he prolly had a basically stock set up besides the S/C?? If you changed some internals and pulleys I'd imagine you could get some pretty good numbers off the dyno. Hey boostedbora, what does your 8v run? Any internal motor changes?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The neuspeed S/C sucks for what its worth. Best ive seen on vortex is 133whp. Absolutly pitiful how they five you figures of flywheel horsepower and all that crap about 50% gains. It reality it doesnt translate into useable power @ the wheels.

If you want to research good superchargers look at ones that can be intercooled and have a centrifigal type comrpessor wheels

IMO Procharger makes a real good kit for the mk3

Hers the Vortech supercharger. I saw a dyno for this one of 157 HP @ the wheels

I belive both kits are around $3000

·
Registered
28 Posts
gareth, i say go with a vr6, you know you want that one the most. you've driven stelmach's car with that vr6, didn't you think that was ill? and the rumble from the exhaust was sick! who knows if you get the vr6 for a good price and good miles, you could turbo it in the future. headies

1 - 14 of 14 Posts