VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on a new air filter. The car has a spectre cone filter that is running down to the lower grille that the PO had on it. Its getting some rust spots and I'm wondering whats a really good cone filter to replace it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have the aem dryflow from autozone. it doesnt require oiling so you dont need to worry about oil getting on the MAF.

if your not worried about it, a k&N cone will do too. the aem dryflow is made with k&n to produce a non oiled filter so i recommend that one.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What gli said whatever you get stay away from oiled filters, they will get on the maf sensor and burn it if left for long

What kind of car do you have and what motor?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I Have an 04 gli 1.8t.

The airbox has been removed and there is a duct running to the lower grille where the spectre is attached. My only worry is that when it rains will it suck up water? And about the oil getting into the MAF, I would think that if I don't over due the oil I shoudl be fine.

I guess since the air filter is out of sight it really wouldn't matter how it looked. I would just like to have a filter that is very efficient and will last a while.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
you wont suck up rain water. just dont go through deep puddles or you could hydrolock your engine. but you would have to literally have part of your car submerged in water. youll be fine.

get an AEM dryflow. its just easier and the same price as an oiled filter. you clean it by hosing it down with water and letting it dry, no oil to spray on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts