VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's right, my car was built in mexico. Is that bad? It sounds like it should be, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm new to this forum though I've read many of the postings and have seen lots of great advice passed around. I have a 92 jetta gl and it has many problems but one thing at a time. Right now I'm most concerned with the headlights shorting out. When I turn them on, the dash panel lights usually go out, and then the headlights themselves will go out from time to time and I'll have to play with the switch to get them on again. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something wrong with the internal mechanism of the switch or maybe a wire short? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Nope... nothing wrong with your car being built in Mexico. Here in the US all Rabbits after 1980 came from mexico, most all Golfs, later jettas, almost all the MK4s came from there too. In europe the cars still came from germany, although rumor is that they'll all be built in mexico before to long. I think the New Beetle in europe is actually from mexico.

And it sounds like you headlight switch is dead/dying.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think ever vw I owned was from mexico, not a bad thing. As far as the headlights, it's probably just the switch. I had some problems with that in the past. They didn't go off once I was driving though, they just took a little fiddling with the switch to get them to turn on. Try getting another switch from a junkyard. It shouldn't be too much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I'll try a new switch.

also--does anybody know of any websites to get weather stripping for jetta trunk? Mine is leaking pretty badly and I've looked all over.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mexiJett:
thanks, I'll try a new switch.

also--does anybody know of any websites to get weather stripping for jetta trunk? Mine is leaking pretty badly and I've looked all over.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.motorworks.com
or
www.vwparts.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts