VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the OEM Bosal exhaust on my 96 Golf GL with about 27k miles on it (163k on the car). I replaced the Bank 2 sensor with a Bosch right when I got the exhaust installed, and about 10k miles ago it threw the code for Bank 1. I took a while to replace the O2 sensor in bank 1. I recently got a new one and put it in and this one is a Denso. It threw the code about 60 miles later, I cleared it and a little bit later it came up again. I brought it back and replaced it with another Denso. This morning after about 40 miles it threw the Bank 1 code again. Its P0140 - Bank 1 Sensor 2 No Activity.

The guy at the parts store said there should be no issue with the compatibility between the Denso and the Bosch. I am likely going to get another Bosch and try it, but I wanted to know if anybody has experience with different manufacturer O2 sensors. When I clear it, there is noticeable extra pep then when the light comes up its gone. Did I leave the electronics hanging to the fire for too long and now I'm screwed with a code I can't clear?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Its possible that ECU isnt reading the denso one, i would try the bosch for sure. Its possible the denso one isnt compatible with the heated o2 sensor system. I never like installing universal stuff on my car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check Engine Turned Off

I haven't checked this forum in a while because the check engine light turned off without changing the 02 sensor - my mechanic was very sick for a while and he gets a deal at the VW dealer so I kept the Denso in. I didn't even get the code cleared, it went off on its own. After a 1500-2k miles the light went away - the car just turned 170k and the light hasn't turned back on and it gets over 30 mpg @ 80mph. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like it just took a little while for the ECU to "learn" the Denso O2 sensor. I've heard of this in other cars, so I don't see why VW would be any different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts