VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 1.8T Beetle GLX with 58,000 miles was towed to the dealer on Wednesday after the motor quit while driving down the road and would not restart. Dealer said the timing belt broke and caused fatal damage to the motor. Fortunately it was covered under the warantee and I received a complete new motor. Dealer told me that this isn't the first one he has seen with under 60,000 miles. FYI

Scott

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

Holy smokes. You're lucky they replaced it for free. Can you imagine the set back this would create?

I hope VW will start putting timing chain on our cars in the future instead of these damn belts. And Irridium (sp?) Spark Plugs.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
damn i never heard of the problem before but its great everything worked out in your favor though. did they give u any reasons y the problem occurs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t actually picked up the car yet. But, when I do I’ll ask the dealer for more details about this problem… Here is an interesting observation. I had the car towed to the dealer late Wednesday night and they had the new motor delivered Thursday and installed on Friday. The car will be ready on Monday.
Thanks for the replies. I’m glad I found this forum.

Scott

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by svandiest:
I haven’t actually picked up the car yet. But, when I do I’ll ask the dealer for more details about this problem… Here is an interesting observation. I had the car towed to the dealer late Wednesday night and they had the new motor delivered Thursday and installed on Friday. The car will be ready on Monday.
Thanks for the replies. I’m glad I found this forum.

Scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Volkswagen recommends timing belt be changed at 60,000. I don't know how it is for other 1.8T's, but for my passat, the dealership wanted $700+ for just the timing belt

98 and 99 passats had problems with their tensioners making noise before 60K.
I just ordered all my belts/new style tensioners/new water pump/thermostat from ECS tuning, and it olny costed me $338

1 - 5 of 5 Posts