VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the repair history and frequency of the TDI system. Gonna get the bug with the diesel next week unless someone can tell me why not. Looks like a good system but what do I know? First I have ever seen one. What about filters and oil? What about reliability? AND WHAT IS THAT BIG, PLASTIC ENGINE COVER FOR?

Karl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carl,

We have a 2000 TDI and have little to complain about we change the oil & fuel filters fairly regularly. My other vehicle is a 95 Volvo that I change oil on every 8-10,000 miles W/O any mechanical problems. My problems with my Beetle are it does not like the cold weather - put a heater from Badger on the oil pan and if I keep it for the next winter I'll put a warmer in the battery box. The lower engine cowl is off, there is no ground clearence and it was damaged and the replacememnt($ BIG BUCK$) did not stay on. The fuel system clogged up from Frozen diesel fuel so add deicer in the winter if it gets cold enough in your area. Did I say that I live in Northern New York? Hows -40 F this past winter sound for cold? Next winter we will not have the same probelms. Any other questions? Oh, we bought the car in Florida & used it there for three & 1/2 years before moving up here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aikinut NY thanks for the reply. TN does NOT get to -40F! The cover I am talking about is on the TOP of the engine covering it almost completely over. All that shows is a VW emblem and oil fill cap & dipstick.

Also I am getting the runaround from the dealer: He says that MSRP and dealer cost is the same. Well, DUH! I don't think so!

Karl

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The big cover on top is there for 2 reasons:

#1. Keeps things simple looking under the hood.
#2. Deadens some of that loud diesel noise.

Other than the above 2 things, it does nothing otherwise.

TDIs are great if you are looking for a commuter car for excellent economy. If you plan to modify it any, its a much better starting platform than a 2.0, with insane amounts of torque possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, GTIVGR, for the info on the cover. Kinda what I was thinking: all the things WE would like to see are ignored and what THEY want show up instantly. NIH Not Invented Here! I will see how noisy the engine is after I remove this thing and hang it on the shop wall.

Karl

·
Registered
267 Posts
i drive a tdi and i love it... very few complaints too. i get my oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and make sure you change the fuel filter when it says to in the scheduled maintainence... every 20k i believe

as for the cold thing, yeah that sucked a lot, be you being from TN won't give you those problems, best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't mention what year bug you're buying - If it's new it may have the Pumpe Deuse TDI (engine code BEW) which, among other things, requires special engine oil which AFAIK is only available from VW.

Otherwise, have at it. I love my TDI. My engine has been flawless for over 113,000 miles and 5 years. Except for the timing belt, I've done all my own maintenance since 20k. Just keep the oil changed.

For me, that decorative engine cover was the first thing to come off. The valve cover is a magnesium alloy which I've found polishes up very well - a shiny engine looks much nicer than that hunk of plastic.

-Cet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts