VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone out there...well i got my 98 Jetta like 2 months ago and i have really been wanting to do some fun thing to it and start street racing but i'm very new to this stuff and all my friends drive WRX's and Civic's and they don't know anything about VW so i need some help...and i was wondering if a couple of people would like to help me out on the parts and all that stuff, that would be great!! thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
that is too funny! just post what you would like to know about and i am sure people would love to help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thanks ok so here is what i'm thinking but if i say something wrong...get over it!! Just kidding! ok so i want to put intake and chip and then cat back exhaust and new shocks and springs. my jetta is only a 2 liter and it's not as fast as my 1989 golf which was so much fun to drive! anyways that's besides the fact but i'm really not sure on how many hp i want yet i haven't really givin it any thought. but i also want to do my front end w/ the golf hood and lights...so ya what do you guys think??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
sounds like a good plan... dont expect to get too much from the 2.o unless you want to go forced induction.... i have around 2g's in to the bottom of the engine and it is still slug like! but the tubro should as emeral says KICK IT UP A NOTCH! BAM!

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:

Well, you've found the right place! (thats Harry [oldskoolgti] in the pic; he is dreamy)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL, you crack me up Raf
!!! But he is right, you have come to the right place. First thing is you want to set a goal. How much hp? Reliability, is the car going to be daily or weekend driven? Those 2 questions are the ones that will be your deciding factor upon where you start. Everyone on this forum can help point you in the right direction as far technical know-how and parts. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i have another question....how hard would it be to take out my engine and put a VR6 in it? you have to remember that i'm learning slowly about all this crap...and how much to put a short-shifter in? and what exactly do you have to do?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
a full vr swap??? didn't you just get this car? minus labor the parts for the swap (in good running condition) would run from low end... 2 grand to a top of almost 3000 for really nice used stuff. the short shifter is pretty simple and should cost more than 65-70 bucks for the parts.... install is quite simple and can be done yourself....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks buddy seems like you and me talk alot...well you don't have to worry about the labor my dad was a mechanic for Dave Strong Volkswagon so he know's how to do all that dandy stuff!! anyways thanks again and you can say the cookies are in the mail....inside joke for the rest of you!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh i forgot to mention that this car wasn't really my choice...yes i wanted a jetta but it was either this one or no jetta b/c my parents bought it for me!! so ya i did just get this car! anyways just thought i'd clear that up b/c i would have bought a vr6 in a heart beat over the one i have but hey i can't complain the car was free!! but it's up to me to do all the modifications on it so now that i think about it it'll probably break out even w/ the price and all! i think....

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
welcome,
The 2.0 is a very good engine to tune as a start. As for the vr swap, just buy a vr6 if you wanted to do the swap, personally i never saw the point of swaping an engine into a car that has that engine stock. You seem to have a good start on your wishlist. Get those things done and your off to a good start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts