VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up today....
Fully loaded black on black vr6...All i can say is that the break-in period is really gonna be tough...
I've been shifting at around 3k so far...is that about what i should be doing during the break in, at least until i hit 5-600 miles?

As far as mods go, the first will be to kill the DRLs, then maybe some tinted corners or debadging.....I'm still not sure what the best route to take for performance mods are....Might just get an intake and definitely work on suspension when i get the money (the car rolls, but it's no match for my soon to be gotten rid of '85 LeSabre...how's that for a step up?). Has anyone had any experiences with the dieselgeek short throw shifter?

Anyways, i'm really glad i went with the VR6 since it revs so freely and smoothly (so much creamy torque!), and of course it sounds sweet. Not to mention that the 6 speed tranny is 10x better than the 5M from the turbo.

Just wanted to share my joy....

(And, db, what are the weight savings on the carbon fiber hood and how much did that run you?)

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: butang ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the Neuspeed short shifter, and it greatly reduces the crappy throw on my 5spd VR6. I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today i removed the rear badges. I also removed the yellow bumper lights to paint them. I had intended on using a transparent black paint, but i was unable to find any. Instead i got some gloss black spray paint and now it looks completely integrated with the bumper and pretty nice, i think (lights are opaque now). It looks like it could be that way stock. I know i still have the side markers (for which i plan on getting smoked lenses) for people to see me turn, and i don't think it would interfere with the visibility of my car at night. At any rate, i can easily remove the paint and return it to a the original orange surface if need be. Comments?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
butang,

Congrats on your new dub, as you probably all ready know I'm a big fan for Black VR6's
And I assume you checkd'out my site for my VR6? http://www.dailyvw.com the carbon fiber hood lost about 40-50 pounds and ran $569. shipped. I was not looking to lose weight on the car. Strickly stylin'.

The first 2 mods I did on mine was the Eurosport Cold Flo intake and the Neuspeed catback stainless steel exhaust. OMG!!! Those two mods really opens the throaty VR6 up; sounds very sick. I have some MPEG's on my site if you want to download so you can hear it. But they only do a little...you must here it in person.

I'm going for the stealth look on mine. Next year we have big plans for the car. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
db,
I saw the black emblems (front and rear) for sale, but i figure i might as well just paint it myself and save the money.

what steps did you take to paint them to make sure that the paint would last? i see how to remove the rear badge, but is there anything tricky to remove the front one?

also, i gotta recommend you just spray the bumper side markers black...i can't stop looking at my car now...

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts

All you have to do to remove the from badge is to pop off the grill and then pop out the VW badge. Pretty simple...all actaully hit them with a little primer first them gave them about 4 coats of gloss black (Krylon). Let them stand for a day and put it back together.

The spray tint I got worked great too. Post up some pics of your dub then.

·
Registered
158 Posts
butang- the deisel geek race shifter is awesome, i will be ordering mine soon. I drove my friends a couple of weeks ago, and was really impressed w/ the difference it made. Its a little tight, but you can feel each shift more, kinda like it locks in place w/ each shift, very sturdy.

as for first mods, db is definately pointing you in the right direction. CAI and suspension were definately at the top of my list. for CAI i went w/ VELOCITY and the suspension i went w/ the WEITEC TX 50/40 kit. It left a perfect 1 finger gap in the front and 2 in the rear.(will post pics soon). The handling is incredible now, i'm having to re-learn how to drive my car, little to no body roll now, i can take on ramps at about 90 now. Cloverleafs are now my new favorite thing, i find myself taking all 4 ramps then going back to the same direction i was originally going, so much fun
i'll email you pics of the drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts