VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of an '88 Golf GL with a 8V GTI engine. The car is in pretty nice shape, and I got a hell of a deal on it.

I have a few questions though.

I can do the shocks and struts for <$200 from Autozone with Gabriel parts, but I might Autocross this car at some point. Realistically, how much performance can I gain from much nicer parts, like Koni or Sachs&Boge?

Has anyone done a small turbo, and is it beyond what it's worth time and money wise. I have a lot of turbo experience, just not on these cars.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
<$200 suspension is crap. seriously, if you want good stuff, you are going to have to crap out about $400+. if you want a nice ride, go with some either H&R, Bilstein, Eibach

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense. I'll probably go that route.

I remembered my other question. When I bought it the guy said that the only thing he knew was wrong was: "the transmission differential is loose" At the time I didn't really know what he meant, and I wasn't worried, I planned to fix it (and included it in my offer). Today I put it on the lift and I think I know somewhat what it means. When I turn my tires, the shafts that go into the differential housing actually move in and out. There is a LOT of play, and it obviously doesn't seem normal. Does anyone know what the problem is? I also get a "CLUNK" when I let off the clutch quickly and the shafts probably move and seat.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the clunk is probably a mount. The axles should have a little play in them but not too much. A turbo isn't too easy if you have digifant 2 injection. Which it probably does jugding bybthe year. They already run pretty lean and a turbo won't do too much. But if you swutch to digi1 from a g60 corrado then you can run a turbo with a descent amount of boost and not lean out the motor too much. I was thinking that route also but now am leaning towards carbs wotha big shot of nitrous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts