VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just got a red '86 GTI 8v with a little over 200K on it. It's fun to drive and in great shape. Can you guy's point me in the right direction for some more power? it handles great, but is there stuff like strut braces out there for models this old? Basically where should i start?
thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey, well it depends on what u want first, like u already said that it handles good, u should try to work on the engine, and u said that it has 200k, WOW, thats a lot, well what i say is that u should look in to get a new engine, but if u dont want to do that, well then u should hp stuff for your engine, but i cant help u with that, cause i'm big with body mods and if u want that then ask me i can help u, oh and im only 13.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
well, if the engine runs good, then keep it. i would say, for starters, intake, header, exhaust, spark plug wires, short shift, cam. i had an 84 GTi and they had almost, everythign for that that they have for my car now. the age doesnt make much of a dif. you can get the same parts that i can as long as you have the 1.8l 8v engine. our cars are a lot alike with the exception of the big bumpers. well, stock at least. good luck and sounds like you got a good starter!

·
Registered
19 Posts
200k might seem like a lot next to other cars, but dubs like that which are maintained correctly can see over 300k... Get ur compression checked and if it sounds stable, then u can T it out...

JP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts