VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry But i'm not a VW owner as of right now. My first car I owned was a Rabbit and I loved it. I'm thinking about going back to my roots.

I'm looking at MK4 golf 1.8ts and the VR6. I really want a 1.8t because i know my way around a turbo car considering I own a GSX right now.

Just wondering what kind of power can be made out of it with what kind of money. I added 100+ horsepower to my Eclipse for roughly 900 bucks.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
first off WELCOME TO VWFORUM!

gsx's are cool. i wanted to get one but got the dub instead.

with any vw you won't get 100 horsepower for 900 as far as i know. if you get a 1.8t u can get a chip for about $500 or $700(usd) and that will give u a good 50 horsepower. with a full exhaust, including 3' downpipe, that should get you like 10-15 horsepower(i think). some people claim gains of 30 horspower. you can also get a boost controller and a chip which will up the psi level pretty high but that could be dangerous for the turbo. front mounted intercooler's also work well with the 1.8t. that will add some good horsepower.

those are my thoughts.

if you get a vr6 you have very few mods that will make any horsepower difference. besides your exhaust and intake you would need a supercharger for more power.

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I agree with 1.8t here. What HP do you start out with a GSX? you might want to take that into consideration with what your starting out with and what you'll end up with. Our 1.8t guru here is Big Dong who's almost hitting 13's with stock turbo and internals. You can always go Stg 3 and get some serious HP but that will cost you 3g's Some chips to look at are www.goapr.com www.giacusa.com www.upsolute.com

jon

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]

·
Registered
500 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
I agree with 1.8t here. What HP do you start out with a GSX? you might want to take that into consideration with what your starting out with and what you'll end up with. Our 1.8t guru here is Big Dong who's almost hitting 13's with stock turbo and internals. You can always go Stg 3 and get some serious HP but that will cost you 3g's Some chips to look at are www.goapr.com www.giacusa.com www.upsolute.com

jon

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget
REVO

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
100+hp for $900 is going to be a little difficult with the 1.8t, but with the above information, you'll be getting a solid 200+whp. The KO3 is a pretty limited turbo, granted people like Big Dong and others on the Vortex, have been able to put down some great numbers with them. Seeing 300+whp for about $3000 is pretty realistic, and easily obtainable.

Oh, and WELCOME!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If i could start over, I would have actually taken the K03 off right from the start and immediately gone with a larger turbo. With the ability to run clamped MAP sensors safely now on stock software for these custom kits, you can ultimately build a kit if you bargain shop for the same or slightly more $$$ that it would take to make a K03 run 13's, and be well over 300whp on pump gas and close to 400whp on C16. As soon as I move into my new place in the next month and then recover enough financially to buy myself a beater car I will begin to buy parts for one of these custom kits and begin to sell off some of my bolt on parts to help recover some of the cost. A simple parts list is below to start one of these, its probably missing a few things though that I can't think of now.

Diode to clamp MAP sensor
S4 3" MAF housing
380cc injectors
ATP exhaust manifold
fuel pump
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
T3/To4e .50 trim
oil lines
FMIC
custom inlet pipe
downpipe w/ flange to fit turbo
AVC-R Boost Controller

With all this, you would have a bad ass car. This is the route I want to go, I rode in one with this setup two weeks ago and while he didn't have much boost below 4000 rpms, once it was spooled at only 15 psi, he was already faster than my K03 w/ all the bolt ons. This same guy managed to rape a 91' NSX last weekend with this setup the whole way from 30mph to well over 100 where he was 5-6 cars in front of the Honda. There was another guy that dynoed 380hp at the wheel with this same setup on pump gas and slightly larger 440 cc injectors in Virginia not to long ago as well.

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I think everyone covered what I wanted to say, especially since I have a VR...

But you did mention getting the VR, you will have to spend a LOT more money modding that. I love the engine, the only problem is that without a factory turbo, you can't just get it chipped and get 40-50HP. You can do exhast, intake, pulleys, chip (only 8-10HP) and be running low-mid 14's if you get good traction. One VWF member just ran 14's the other day with a basically stock 12V VR6.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Is there a good reason (other than cash) that more people here with the VR haven't bolted on a SC? It seems like it would be a fairly reliable mod and you can get some pretty serious power (AND IT'S FULLY REVERSABLE!!!). Can you tell I dream about having a SC VR every night? A turbo would be awesome but I think the SC would be more reliable and less traumatic for the engine. Thoughts? I can never hear enough about super chargers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

My car is rated at 195hp to the flywheel stock and right now I'm up to 267whp.

What is really steering me away from the VR is the fact that no turbo and like you guys have been saying I would need to SC it or TC to get some real horsepower and that is not really what I'm looking for.

The big thing that is holding me back from selling my car and getting a 1.8t is the fact that its WWD (front wheel drive
) and the fact that I just got a new paint job for my car and its looking exactly how I want it too. Maybe its time for a big loan?

I've been hearing good things about the chips and that seems to be the way to go.
Getting a chip, I/E, and then FMIC would probably be the extent of the mods for me.
I also have a set of 450s from my car. Would they fit the fuel rail in this car?
I have always loved the styling of the Golf and have wanted to own one for a long time. I think its one of the best looking car with subtle rims and a slight drop. Thats all you need to make the cars look marvelous.

If you want to see my GSX just go here
Pictures of car
And here are the mods that give me 267whp
Right Click then Save as
Keep in mind I have stock turbo right now but for 500 dollars I could have over 300whp.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by billsbury:
[QB]Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I also have a set of 450s from my car. Would they fit the fuel rail in this car?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DBW and the DBC 1.8T's only take high impedance injectors, not sure if DSM injectors are high or low impedance. Also, you will not need to replace injectors unless your gonna go w/ a bigger turbo. Even ATP's stage II kit w/ a GT28 turbo uses stock injectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts