VW Forum banner

New member 96/98 jetta 2.0 aba

7K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  mcrow 
#1 ·
My buddie had a low mile 2.0 motor from a 98 so I whent and got a strait bodied 96 gl with a blown cylender and did a swap. Now that it's rollng I'm stating to think of mods for it. Just wondering if it's worth my time money blood sweat and tears.

Starting with the tint, sound system and I already have a cherry bomb exaust.
But I'm wondering what to do next and what brands would be the bigst bang for my buck. Here are what some vw guys have suggestd.

Air intake ofcourse. Figured a k&n

heard that an oversized cam would push 10-15 more hp

suspension, I have no clue on brands, prob less than 1,500 bucks.

I have some tsw 17's that look sick but are road dashed way bad from a crash on pass side, prob need some new ones

and new poly bushings

If youguys could give me some tips and suggestions that would be sweet

oh and it's black, treck edition

See less See more
#2 ·
all i can say is search man. this topoc has been covered 74898268846 times.

i have a thread in here called the 2.slow thread...should help you out

dont drop to much into that motor, it isnt worth it

as for suspension. i like h&r or eibach. get some lowering springs, nice struts "kyb is suggestion for cheepo's", swaybars, and poly bushings...strut tower braces if you wanna waist a few bucks

#4 ·
Ya I read all of that thanks, gave me some ideas

Then what kind of bushings to you suggest?

As doom as I get somthing done I'll post pics, might be a while

#6 ·
when you do bushing rup some dieelectric grease on the contact points....no noise

#8 ·
Y so I've been looking at cold air intakes and k&n drop in filters, I have a question. When looking at the neuspeed website and there cold air set up they refer to an stock air pump, what is this part? I can't think of anything like this on my car. Thanks for any help

#14 ·
+1 my black mk3 is rolling on 17's and dropped 3 inches

rubs effing everywhere! and it looks really crappy IMO...do some short and fat 15's. thats what im about to do and it looks effing SICK

#12 ·
The parts car I have came with those road rashed 17s and it rode fine before it got totaled, never rubbed at all, idk how low it was though

#16 ·
So I spent some money and put in some tunes

new pioneer deck
4 infinity 6032cf 6.5s for the doors and rear, powered by a kicker 4ch 500 w
mtx 12" sub with matching mono 600w amp

no idea how it sounds yet, gettn it grounded after work today

#17 ·
So when I droped the new 2.slow in my clutch engaged realy early, and wouldn't even engage fully when my foot was off the petaland would slip if I accelerated too fast, but I know the clutch is in good condition. I know these clutches are supposed to auto adjst but when I pressed to petal 5 times in neutral I didn't notice any change. To temporarily solve the problem I just took out the rubber spacer on the clutch cable were it connects to the clutch arm on the tranny. I'm jst wondering if there was a slight differance in cable length between diff years, or if somthing else is causing this problem. Without the rubber spacer it grabbs a lil late but functions. Just tryn to make sure I don't mess up anything

#18 ·
cable could be stretched out...if thats the case it is junk

check the finger that runs your throw out bearing also. they break all the time

#19 ·
Ok well I'll swap the cable for the one in my parts car, and do some searchn on that throwout Bering finger

#20 ·
well... first of all i cant believe you guys are fightin about who's lower.

second. does ur pedal have any free play? if not then ur pedals hangin ur clutch up. was it a bitch to get the cable on?

#21 ·
Cable whent on fine, but had to use a floor Jack to push clutch arm up to get the clip on. Nah I don't think it's hung up

#22 ·
Okay so.... Over the weeken. My ac compressor decided that it didn't like the rest of the car and tried to wigle itself out( my hoer ac bolt was all the way out but the frame kept it from dropping onto the ground or into my belts luckily). Now I thnk I might have blown a bearing in either my ac or my alternator ortensioner cuz I have a slight sound coming from that side of the motor. Also when I took out my air box there was rediculas amount of oil in my I take tube. I know this is from my Pcv valve but this meen that it is no longer functioning? What is the point of trying to burn oil from my crank breather? Can I just do a blockoff between the pcv and the intake? Thanks I know I have alota q's but I'm just tryn to learn more bout my vw. Oh and found some dope gti leathers for40 bucks gunna go check em out

#25 · (Edited)
The point of the PCV is an emission control system to reburn the crankcase gases so it doesnt vent to the environment. Yes you can block off the intake port but leave the pcv to the breather mounted on the cylinder head. But then you have to effectively plug the intake tube hole of the PCV system so air doesnt sneak out there, if air sneeks out of there it will screw up your air/fuel ratio.

Idle your car and loosen the oil filler cap so it just rests on the valve cover hole. If your oil cap "dances" and vibrates your PCV valve should be fine.

#23 ·
the pvc system's on ABA motors suck ass. clean out the tube and keep and eye on it... its very possible that has never been cleaned and is just buildup over the life of the car

#24 ·
Can't be, dropped that motor in a month and a half ago. I did clean it up. But will prob swap out the Pcv with the one out of my parts car pile.

Dose nothing go right with these cars? Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.