VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I recently found this site. I see it has a lot of info! Anyway, I have a 92 Golf GL(my 1st car). It's definately stock with the exception of a roof rack which adds about 14hp

I'm enjoying the car a lot, it's a quick little thing. I got it in the summer and so far so good.
OKay well here are my questions! Any replies would be appreciated.
1. Last week I began hearing a strange noise coming from the front of the car when I gave it gas. It's not very loud but it begins when I'm accelerating in 2nd gear. It seems to be from the front right side...(if that helps?)
2. The driver's side door lock knob does not go in when the door is open. I also cannot lock the door or unlock it. When I stick the key in, it does not turn. I sprayed WD40 on as many "lock" related items on the door and still no luck. Any suggestions?
3. Overall, the car has become squeaky. If I don't have the CD player on, I can definately hear the sqeaks, especially from the back.
Anyway I think the cold and snow have something to do with these problems as they started occuring only after winter showed up two weeks ago here in Edmonton.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
First things first, the first picture of your car in the alley looks awsome, and...

1. Sounds like a wheel bearing. Fairly cheap to get here, and the fronts are pretty easy to do yourself.
2. Sounds like a bad tumbler, might need replacing.
3. It's just what happens, you can try to tighten things, but they will come loose again.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
first off welcome to vwf. Okay the door lock will not og in when the door is open. They did that so you have to lock it with the key. That way you won't lock your keys in the car as easily. the squeaks and stuff just happen. Our cars are getting up there in age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^I'm honestly not sure from where. All I know is that when I press the one the gas in 2nd gear onward, the rattling begins.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'm going to put premium gas in tomorrow. Umm, about the lock though. The problem is that I can't even open the door using the key. I have to open the front passenger door and lean out and open the driver door! I don't think this is an intentional design by VW lol!

·
Registered
133 Posts
First..WELCOME!

Great first car. I think you will really enjoy it.

Welcome to the world of bad door handles. They go bad, but are easy to replace. You can try to push the handle in and see if it catches to try to open it (if it is stuck in this fashion). They simply go bad. It could just be the tumbler.

Squeaks. As Keith said, we've got oldies but goodies. Some of your squeaks and cracks, cluncks will come from worn bushings. You can replace them with a Polyurethane (most of them). Some say the ride is a bit stiffer, but harder (not as soft and sedan comfort like). I don't know. Never had them in.

The front noise could be so many things. A bad motor mount - under acceleration clunk forward and then back when you let off the gas. It is hard to say. Does it do it durning turns, only in lower gears, certain speeds, over bumps. Try to remember when it does its thing.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Welcome to VWF!

My A2 handles were replaced 3 times within 2 years. There are a few problems with the design of the door handels. First is that moisture and water drip down and dry out the oil and even make the handle rust. The second part is the overall internal design; the 2 prongs are not strong enough and they break. The only good news you should to be able to find handles cheap less than $20. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all who have replied: THANKS for the advice!
I put premium in my car but it still rattles...oh well.
The rattling is definately coming from the front (not the engine though) and occurs when I'm in 2nd gear or higher and accelerating.
I have two more questions now.
1. I have to hold the hatchback door open or it will drop. Do I need to buy new pistons for it?
2. This is gonna be the dumbest question ever imo but does my 1992 VW have a carburetor? I didn't think so until I saw a picture of an engine eaxctly like mine with a title underneath, "Carbureted (sp?) Models" so now I really don't know. thx and laugh all u want!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snowboy411:
I have two more questions now.
1. I have to hold the hatchback door open or it will drop. Do I need to buy new pistons for it?
2. This is gonna be the dumbest question ever imo but does my 1992 VW have a carburetor? I didn't think so until I saw a picture of an engine eaxctly like mine with a title underneath, "Carbureted (sp?) Models" so now I really don't know. thx and laugh all u want!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... a new hatch strut will fix the problem.

And since your car is a GL it shouldn't be carburated. For those in the US that don't know Canada got some pretty screwy stuff. Like MK3 Jettas with 1.8L counterflow 8vs with throttle body injection (like GM had in the 80's... really just a computer controlled carburator) mounted on old Rabbit carbed intake manifolds.

There's only one way to be sure... make with the picture.

·
Registered
107 Posts
nice golf i love 4 doors same color as mine but i have the 4 round lights abd body kit and my wing is from italy

about the noise try checking out your front end maybe a sway bar bushing or motor mount that my guess
the clicks and squecks i have just from age and i just turn the radio up so i dont here them on bumpy roads

have fun with your new toy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts