VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 2004 GTI 1.8T suddenly stalled with alternator light on (red). After few minutes it started ok then 5 minutes later, same thing. Stalled twice more getting home. Electrical (lights) seem fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would get your battery and alternator checked to start with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yesterday my 2004 GTI 1.8T suddenly stalled with alternator light on (red). After few minutes it started ok then 5 minutes later, same thing. Stalled twice more getting home. Electrical (lights) seem fine. Any suggestions? Thanks
Keep track of the times between this intermittent symptom because when you put a fix in, you want to be reasonably sure it worked.
If the average time between appearances is 5 minutes then you need 15 consecutive minutes of no fault. If it's a day then you need three days.

To trace the problem enroute you'd need voltage indicators wired to various places in your system wiring. Several LEDs would work in a make or buy setup depending on your electrical skill level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
DIY
VW Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to entirely to all Volkswagen models including the Golf, Jetta, and Passat! Come join the discussion about TDI, Turbos, reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing