VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New Member trying to help my son find a used Golf. Thought I would see if you guys would share your knowledge and help a newby. I don't have any experience with Volkswagons but think I know my way around cars.

We looked at a Golf today that was listed in Holly Hill in Daytona Beach on Craigslist. I don'tknow how to post link. Anyway it was a 2000 with 155000mi. it had a turbo and 2.0. I never had a turbo before. When you romped on the throttle a little you could hear a rattle that sounded like valves but more tinny like butterfly valve in a carb. Was that normal? We passed on the car for a couple of reasons but would like to know if a turbo is supposed to sound like that. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ed

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well if its a 2.0, it does not have a turbo. A turbo sounds like a very high pitched whistle.

for future advice, stay away from automatics, and make sure the timing belt has been done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I was skeptical when I tried to find out info on the 2.0 with turbo. So that explains that. I found some info on the timing chain tensioner causing rattle but this noise seemed to come from the drivers side of the motor. Anyway we passed on it so I think we made the right decission.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts