VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i know, there's no pics yet, but they're coming soon. Tonight i finished up the installation of an auto-dimming rear-view mirror from a Lincoln Continental, and 2 weeks ago i completed the turn signal mirrors. Mirrors look and perform great, as well as the auto-dim mirror. The mirror also has a built-in display with a digital read-out compass, which is fully operational. Pics should be up in a week.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, the mirror has maplights too.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Installed in your girlfriends car? Awsome with the mirror, that couldn't have been to easy with the wiring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wiring sucked, had to learn what wire was what. still trying to find a good, easy to access wire for a power lead that's on whenever the car's on. Right now it's running off the cigarette lighter power lead. Did i mention that VW's are the worst cars i've ever modified? Every mod i've done is nothing but a headache. I gotta say, i'm not a fan of power locks being powered by air. I'll be repairing air lines next week from that one. Luckily parts from wrecked VW's are readily available and cheap. And oh yeah, why'd the germans have to go and use a urethane adhesiv on the windhield mirror instead of an epoxy? Bastards. I left the stock mount on and adhered a standard mount below it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have my wiring led into the fuse box to the fuel pump, so when you start your car its always on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to cut into something a little less vital then the fuel pump, any other ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It';s there now, but i want something that has power only when the car is on.

·
Registered
437 Posts
oh ok i got ya , you could maybe run it from the wires that come from the fuse box that run the Day Time running lights, maybe, just a thought

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought about that, but accessing wires in the fuse panel absolutely sucks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes thats true, i just hate wiring all together, thats the one thing i do not like to do with my little bit of car knowledge lol

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
what about the the power lead for the stereo? not the 12v constant but the power on lead. you need the key in to turn on the radio.... might be your best bet

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a bad idea, i considered that, but didn't feel like pulling the radio, but since VW radioes TOTALLY SUCK and when they lose power and go into safe mode and you have to call the original dealer to get the code, that pisses me off, and we'll be putting in a full system soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts