VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 volkswagen passat wagon 1.8T suddenly have the ABS,Traction control, Check Engine light, Brake light and airbag light on all at the same time, sometimes the airbag light comes off but the others stay on, the car doesnt accelerate normally from a full stop either, do anybody know what can be the matter?

·
Registered
517 Posts
A simple voltage test is a good first step.

If the battery is old, you may have dropped a cell, which would only give you about 11v while running..

Could also be a poor ground, either through a broken ground cable, loose battery connections, or again, a bad battery with an internal break in the ground circuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A simple voltage test is a good first step.

If the battery is old, you may have dropped a cell, which would only give you about 11v while running..

Could also be a poor ground, either through a broken ground cable, loose battery connections, or again, a bad battery with an internal break in the ground circuit.

I tried to restart the car last night and the electronics were acting real loopy, if u tried to open the windows all the interior lights and even the headlights would shut off qs if its a bad alternator or something, while my wife was driving she did hit a bump and it was raining last night and thats when all the kights came on and i thought it was the abs kicking in, i sure do hope its not the alternator but you sir might be right because when i tried to start the car i hadto use my booster pack so it can start so is there anyway i can check with a multimeter or do i have to bring it to a shop, the car cannot run well so i definitely do not want it on the road.

·
Registered
517 Posts
How old is the battery? does it look old? Anything over 3 years that you have any doubt about should be replaced.

By the way, stick to one thread with your problem. Don't create multiple threads for the same issue. It just causes confusion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery doesnt look old but the car is used anyway so i dont know, i brought the battery to advanced auto and thy checked it and they said it needed to be charged to see if it had enough cca's , i dont want to wait for all that so i just brought a new battery and ifits the alternator at least i will have enough power to bring it to the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery doesnt look old but the car is used anyway so i dont know, i brought the battery to advanced auto and thy checked it and they said it needed to be charged to see if it had enough cca's , i dont want to wait for all that so i just brought a new battery and ifits the alternator at least i will have enough power to bring it to the shop.

Oh and i apologize

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i brought the new battery and the car is running fine but i still need to eliminate the possibility of a bad ALTERNATOR, How much should the voltage be while the car is running and not running?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, alternator R&R is complete, no haywire check lights going off but there is one thing though, the part of the odometer that is showing you miles by gallon is off and it just shows how many minutes you drove, how do i get that back on there?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
there is a info button on the right stalk I believe (i don't remember exactly). that should get you back to where you want to be.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Im sorry but what is a stalk? where is it located?
Those are the little levers that stick out of the steering wheel. Those are normally referred to as "stalks".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ok found the switch on the stalk, the readings are atill haywire, they jump from a number to like something much higher every second and even goes to blank while im still driving, what sensor controls that function and if possible where is it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Oh ok found the switch on the stalk, the readings are atill haywire, they jump from a number to like something much higher every second and even goes to blank while im still driving, what sensor controls that function and if possible where is it?
You unplugged your battery right? The ECU takes about 50 miles to fully break itself in. Whenever you unplug the battery it takes this time to relearn your driving habits and tune itself. Give it a little time, and it should go back to the way it was.

·
Registered
828 Posts
That went bad before the battery and alternator change.
Ok well what happens when you try to change the function? I know you described it earlier, but I didn't really understand. Can you take pictures?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts