VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm Ryan, I'm from the Portland Oregon area. I've been into cars for some time now, originally Nissan, now VW/Porsche. I have two 84 944 (one for fun, one for autocross), and an 81 diesel rabbit for work. I drive an average of 100 miles/day for work, and let me tell you, the rabbit has cut my gas bill in half!

The rabbit will be most of my use of this forum, obviously, although the 944 kind of shares a few parts (door handles).
It's baby blue (although I forget the actual color name, some town or something..) I bought it thinking it was stock, but someone has at least rebuilt the motor in the last 5 years, its lowered on HR sports and bilsteins (which are wayy too stiff), and it's tinted dark all around.
Also an aftermarket muffler that's a bit louder, because diesels aren't loud enough... *cough cough*
I threw some speakers in the front doors, had to mod the panels, but the interior isn't mint anyways. Someone replaced the carpet, with a non direct fit roll of carpet.
Headliner is gone. 3 of 4 exterior handles are broken, which are the same handle design as the 944 and can be interchanged, and I've gone through 2 more on the 944 already.
Anyways, she hates cold starts, but runs like a champ otherwise. We timed it via flywheel to 0 degrees, the advance lever puts about 4 degrees on. It helps some. But she runs on only about 2 cylinders and smokes like crazy on cold start.
Anddd she burns through oil like crazy, but not dripping.
It used to smoke until we stopped base timing from 8 to 0, now really no smoke when warm.
Sooo that's like beyond an introduction... haha

I also volunteer running a shop/dealership, and we recently picked up a 93 golf, beautiful shape, automatic, 2.0. It's giving us a bit of trouble with troubleshooting though. (Moved the issue to other forum)

Anyways, hopefully there are some locals here too! Ive loved the 81, it gets as many looks as the 944s!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :) I'm new here too. Just got my first VW in late December and after driving it for a few days I should have gotten one years ago. It's a 2014 Golf. Sounds like you like your Rabbit a lot. I used to car pool with someone who had one but I think it was a little older than yours and not a diesel. After visiting the VW dealer I think I'd like to work at one someday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were my main car I'd put a lot more into it, but it's my work car and I got it for the mileage =)
I always wanted a rabbit to modify and autocross, this was how I settled. The 944 is an outstanding autocross car, and really in car form not much beats the rabbits mileage. Yours is probably a bit more fancy than mine ;)
My shop has two cabriolets. Haven't touched them much. Got them from a field. One I drove around the block because it fired right up. Had to push the clutch in, and pull it back out with my foot every shift... lol
The other one hasn't fired up yet. Motor seemed seized, but we broke it free by rocking it in gear. I'll spend more time on it later.
Thanks for the welcome =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea, the new ones are fancier. :) 20 years ago I knew someone with a Cabriolet. She said it was very fast. You sure wouldn't think so by its looks. Glad you got the motor freed up on that one. I'm looking for some wheels to change out possibly this summer. Was thinking of the VW Goal Wheel in Anthracite but also saw a Golf R with some nice ones as well. I don't know the name of them. :) I'm wondering what other mods I could to to it in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts