VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby is a 1996 Mk3 2.0 8v Golf GL, I firmly believe she's the best used car I've bought. (My last three used cars were American junk.) These forums are great and I've enjoyed reading several posts.

Anyway, I have two quick questions:
- does anyone know if the Ractive Front Upper Strut Bar is okay ... or is it junk?
- what is the easiest way to fix a driver's seat bolster that has fallen apart from years of use? I don't want to replace the seats and I don't want to dump a ton of money into fixing the seat bolster (if I had a ton of money I would have bought a new Golf.)

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Welcome Jerry

As for your questions...
1. Anything Ractive or sold at Circuit City or Auto Zone is crap. Check out the ABD, Eurosport, and neuspeed upper stress bars.

2. 2 words. Duct tape

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
If you're talking about the ass part of the driver's seat, the door side dropping is common (cheap mexican foam). I bought a replacement pad1st VW Parts.com I got the pad (good strong German foam) about a year ago, and it hasn't dropped yet. I fixed it without removing the seat from the car, by taking the plastic stuff off the side and pulling the cover towards the center of the car.

[ March 16, 2004: Message edited by: das boot ]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have just bought a 2.0 8v.

Thinking about a Neuspeed upper front strut brace: how difficult is it to install one of these.

Does it require any drilling / jacking the car up / loosening the existing suspension.

Are there any risks of messing things up and ruining the car / suspension??

I'm looking at buying one from www.awesome-gti.co.uk/neuspeed.html for £78 ($140), but that doesn't include installation, I'm reasoanbly mechanically minded (studied mechanical engineering), but a little uncertain around cars. Don't want to seem a complete idiot if I ask a garage to install it and all it involves is just dropping it onto the existing bolts and tightening a few bolts.

rgds,
LostBok

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you remember what the seat foam was called on that site? I just went to 1st VW Parts.com and I couldn't find the seat foam.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:
If you're talking about the ass part of the driver's seat, the door side dropping is common (cheap mexican foam). I bought a replacement pad1st VW Parts.com I got the pad (good strong German foam) about a year ago, and it hasn't dropped yet. I fixed it without removing the seat from the car, by taking the plastic stuff off the side and pulling the cover towards the center of the car.

[ March 16, 2004: Message edited by: das boot ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts