VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast are the new golf TDIs? With almost as much torque as my VR6 they must be pretty peppy! I would love to have one of these new TDIs for a daily driver since the fuel economy is so good. With a few mods they wouldn't be slow at all I bet. Anyone have any experience with the new diesel power (cue prodigy/dr. octagon "diesel power" song)?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
i believe that tdis can be quite quick after a chipping and a new dp install. i think you should try checking out some uk dub sites cuz they have been modding tdis for years...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlueRabbit0886:
i believe that tdis can be quite quick after a chipping and a new dp install. i think you should try checking out some uk dub sites cuz they have been modding tdis for years...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense since they mostly use diesel fuel over there. I'm just very suprised with the 177lb-ft of torque that little engine is throwing down. I'm impressed! I think it would be really sweet to get to work for VW on this kind of stuff - I wonder if they have room for a math/CS guy who loves their cars

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yeah, the Golf's new TDI is pretty sweet. Too bad they won't be selling them at my dealer due to NY state regulations.

The HP and Torque are up, which is good. The Passat also gets a TDI for 2004. Its a 2.0 TDI, and it will be making 136 horses and 236 ft lbs torque.

The Touareg also gets the V10 TDI in North America starting this upcoming year. 310 horsepower and 555 ft lbs torque are gonna be awesome...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks they won't be selling them. What is about the 1.9TDI that doesn't pass emissions? They seem so efficient (mpg) so I thought they would be fairly friendly to the environment.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
They are...they just don't realize it. Diesels are very environmentally friendly..they even have a plant-sourced fuel that diesels can run on. It doesn't help, though, that the US hasn't implemented Low-Sulfur diesel fuel yet...when they do, expect to see the European Spec TDIs come here...with even better mileage and more power!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i would have got a tdi if they had more power but now they are putting out some impressive number. i still think the tourage tdi is insane. 500 pounds of torque

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
In the December issue of Performance VW magazine, they had a small article on a TDI chip for 1.9 TDIs. Here's a basis of what it said:

"It's sold as a DIY kit and simply involves plugging in a few wires, a five to ten-minute job. The guy who "chipped" his car, Faisal Khokhar, took his Bora TDI to German, Sweedish and French Car Parts who sells parts and accessories for most models. The Power Box utilises a Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC) which makes use of the latest technology to bring your real-time data processing. The benefits of this are that there is no time lag and you don't get uneven power or torque delivery, which is a common trait with a lot of other chips on the market.
Faisal's digital upgrade incorporates a chip which is programmed using the manufacturer's standard fuel map. It sneds modified data to the injection pump which then accurately meters the extra fule required. Because it doesn't crudely over-fuel throughout the entire rev-range, it has a huge economical advantage. On average the power box will give around 20% increase in power and 10-15% increase in torque. Which means more responsive and it pulls a lot better.
The Power Box will cost you around £350. It's available for most TDIs and cars that are mangaged by ECUs."

100 hp TDI-with chip about 120 hp, with about 194.7-203.5 lbs of torque.

So, I would also get a TDI with that same type of performance "box."

·
Registered
499 Posts
chip, bigger injectors, and a free flowing exhaust would make for some pretty impressive numbers. And if you want to go totally power nutty, you can throw on a bigger turbo and a propane kit.

They are fun cars to drive, they have lots of power where you need it. And they are becoming a lot more popular so gas stations with diesel pumps are a lot easier to find now.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost all the gas stations have had diesel around here for about as long as I can remember - must be a local phenom

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I want one too. Check out TDI Club for all the info you need.

Here is an example of why the TDI is an amazing piece of technology:
To improve performance in "off-design" conditions, the A4 engines (and the A3 110hp engines) use a variable-geometry Garret VNT15 turbocharger. There is no wastegate, and all of the engine exhaust passes through the turbine all the time. When the engine is running slowly, a set of vanes inside the turbine housing move, to direct the exhaust gases through the turbine at a shallower angle but a higher speed; this causes the turbine to spin faster, so that the turbo compressor can reach the design boost level sooner. As the engine runs faster and the amount of exhaust gases increase, the boost level starts going up; this is detected by the engine controls which act to move the vanes toward a more open angle. This allows less energy to be transmitted to the turbine wheel, so the boost level is reduced. Compared with the previous design, this arrangement allows the design boost level to be developed faster and at lower engine speeds, and allows more efficient operation with reduced exhaust back pressure at higher engine speeds.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'd like to check out that 300hp beast that's coming out. Now how much boost are the tdi's running and how much more boost does a chip add? just wondering.
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
I'd like to check out that 300hp beast that's coming out. Now how much boost are the tdi's running and how much more boost does a chip add? just wondering.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jon, check out my post. from the chip the pvw mag article talked about, the chip adds 20% hp, and 10-15% torque. I don't know if it would do the same thing for the 300 hp engine. I would assume it would. Jeff's little right up makes me want one even more. so maybe my next vdub will be a tdi? we will see. wonder if anyone has done a tdi swap into cars-(like the usual 1.8t/vr6 swap?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts