VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I bought a 2001 GTi 1.8T pretty much fully loaded. Its such an awesome car. What i was wondering was what kinda of performance mods is hould do first and possibly which companies to buy from. Also what kind of interior and exterior mods i should do, and also where to buy them from. Hopefully some of you will take some time to fill me in. Also some one told me that buying the computer chip and installing it brings it from 150 HP to about 210. Seemed like a big jump to me but he was confident. Anyone know the true jump in HP and where to purchase one. Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Welcome!!! Just to answer some quick questions, Some of the performance mods you can do is Chip (Giac, APR), Exhaust, D/V. Those are the typical and you should be around 200hp and 240ish of TQ. Also do a search on the forum and for some places to buy, look at the pull-down menu at all of the diffrent vendors. HTH.
jon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think the APR chip takes you from 150 HP at the motor to about 200 at the wheels, so yea, its pretty impressive what taking all the restrictions out can do. also, if you want to go wild, they can run 280-300 HP pretty easy. APR has the stage three that will do that. As for exterior. Oettinger is a popular brand, and about half the people on here have swapped their grill, with the most popular being the Kamei grille. Welcome to the forum. What color is your 01?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Welcome to VWF! I think Jon and Josh covered it pretty well. I have a VR6, so I don't know as much about the 1.8T as then, but from what I DO know, that seems like some good advice!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The downpipe for the turbo is also a good performance bolt on! (about 10 horsepower)

but the chip and catback are the best bang for the buck. but remember when u chip to make sure you get a new diverter valve(dv) because the stock plastic one will fail eventually due to the high amount of boost you are passing through it.

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Welcome to 1.8T madness. For the most part the large topics have been covered. Yes the chip will provide the most impressive gains for the $$. Essentially it will advance timing and increase boost pressure to allow the turbo to work up to it's potential. As for other mods, a drop in air filter, DV (diverter valve), exhaust, and downpipe are all good suggestions. Do not, however, look for any "gains" from an upgraded DV. It will simply hold boost better for (hopefully) a longer period of time. HP or gains are not proven. Another key ingredient should be suspension. Lose that stock set up for H&R or eqivalent products. Also keep in mind in the future it is a good idea to have a way to stop that new power with bigger brakes and rotors. In terms of exterior I am a fan of the Oettinger look , however there are other kits to choose from such as:

Freedom Design
Hofele
Konigseder
Pontus Racing
Projektzwo
Rieger
Caractere

Or mix and match them.

Ot learn more about performance go here: www.goapr.com www.awe-tuning.com www.aptuning.com www.ecstuning.com

The above lists are by NO means the end all be all...just some names and places that have helped me along the way.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
I think the APR chip takes you from 150 HP at the motor to about 200 at the wheels, so yea, its pretty impressive what taking all the restrictions out can do. also, if you want to go wild, they can run 280-300 HP pretty easy. APR has the stage three that will do that. As for exterior. Oettinger is a popular brand, and about half the people on here have swapped their grill, with the most popular being the Kamei grille. Welcome to the forum. What color is your 01?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see a lot of people saying how the 150hp 1.8t can be brought up 200hp with a chip but can the 180 hp 1.8t make a similar gain from a chip? I'm just curious...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome! I am a newbie to the forum as well. Everything these guys have posted are great tips... As a newbie, I like Autotech for mods... www.autotech.com. They have good stuff... and they always keep drivability in mind. Their guys are really knowledgeable and have been around for ages. I am dating myself but I used to buy stuff from them in the mid 80's for my MK2 gti and they never let me down. They'll send you a catelog for free or you can download a pdf from their site. They give decent advice as well. I recently got my zender wheels, and my suspension kit from them and they will be chipping my 1.8T very soon as well... cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I see a lot of people saying how the 150hp 1.8t can be brought up 200hp with a chip but can the 180 hp 1.8t make a similar gain from a chip? I'm just curious...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not get the 50 hp bump on the AWP 1.8T engine. It will be about 30hp tops. Why? I don't know. I kinda IS.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
You will not get the 50 hp bump on the AWP 1.8T engine. It will be about 30hp tops. Why? I don't know. I kinda IS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I take it the AWP is the code for the newest engine? And is that 30hp max without any other mods? What is a reasonable amount of gain for a new 1.8t with a CAI, exhaust, and chip? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
I take it the AWP is the code for the newest engine? And is that 30hp max without any other mods? What is a reasonable amount of gain for a new 1.8t with a CAI, exhaust, and chip? Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AWP = 1.8T with 180hp. And yes, you will get about 30hp from the chip alone. This is what I have/will soon be running in the "2.0"

APR 93 Octane
Carbonio CAI
Milltek full turbo back exhaust
GFB Hybrid dv/bov
N75J valve (in the mail)

The funny part is that I have NO idea what WHP I'm at right now! As far as reasonable? Anything in the 200~210Whp is damn nice.
I think I'm in that range. What do you all think???

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yeah, the newer 1.8T's I think have a very similar turbo design, and I believe that VW just did some minor tweaking to the ECU programming to get the 30+hp over the previous version. Therefore both engines have relatively the same overall potential with stock turbo. At least that is how I see things.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow i posted this way the hell back in like july...how did this get started back up lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts