VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to buy a good second car, and i want to spend under $10,000. i've heard alot of good things about jetta's. what would be a good reliable car that is somewhat practical and still fun to drive?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
WELCOME TO VWF!

You could get an MKIII Jetta or GTI VR6. It's too bad you live so far away, I know someone selling one for $7,500 with only 54k miles on it. It's in MA. You could also get an older GTI with a 16v and modify it some, or even keep it stock.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
welcome. and yeah you could go with a 92 Jetta 2.0 16 valve. great car! it would be lots of fun and you could get a good one for around $3000

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
By second car do you mean toy? If you need something reliable, The MkIVs are starting to get close to the 10K range for high mileage, and the MkIII's are well within that range, so I would go with a Jetta or Golf from one of those. If you want a toy, get a old rabbit and cram a VR6 in it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
get a GTi VR6! i drive a 95 black one, 5spd. its the funnest damn car ever. its lighter than the jetta and faster.I recommend getting a golf.peace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want something with some size, getting married soon and kids may not be more than a couple years away. i want something that i can play around with on weekends, do little things to, but will still be a quick and fun car while it's stock. don't want anything too old, so i think a late nineties jetta will probably be what i go with.

so what do all of you think about eclipse's?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thephildo:
i want something with some size...
so what do all of you think about eclipse's?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH?
Anyhow, not too small and fun to drive stock... get anything with a 1.8T or VR6 engine. '99 or '00 jetta would probably fit you best if you are planning to start a family soon. (back seats are perfect for short people)

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Eclipse = no room, slow, unreliable

Go with the Jetta VR6

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I would say mk3 (recommend 98-99)vr6, if you are on a 10k budget. Im sure you can find a mk4 with higher milage, dont know about a vr6 though. best.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
If I was buying a second car for a toy and have 10,000 to spend.I would get a 1998 vw jetta vr6 in the blue color they had that year.I would not get into a older 16v they are way to tempermental.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
if you want a late 90's for less than 10. I say a jetta also. Get a vr6 since you say you wanna leave it mostly stock. Then you'll have performance and not need to spend piles of money to make it fast. And there's plenty for less than 10k with very good miles. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
335 Posts
get a ferrari. your future kids will love you for it, i promise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Eclipse = no room, slow, unreliable

Go with the Jetta VR6
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll give you no room and unreliable, but it isn't slow. 3.0 v6 with a 5 speed, 200 hp stock. not sure how that stacks up to a stock jetta v6, but it's fast enough for me. if you want to see it, go to http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=125892

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jp4wheeler:
get a ferrari. your future kids will love you for it, i promise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

got a decent one for $10k? i'll gladly consider it.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: thephildo ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well stock VR6 in the late 90's was

Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 174 hp Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm
Torque: 181 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 3200 rpm

I say VR6 or if you can find a decent 1.8t in the 99.5/00 model, all you have to do is get a chip and your pushing 200hp with 240 torque on average. Here's a dyno sheet from APR. A few of us on here have this chip (or had in my case) and we all loved it.

204hp/242lb-ft AWD(engine code) 5spd

Trust me on this one. The torque will be pulling almost through the whole gear. I know the eclipse peak Tq is around 4k and make Hp is around 5k The tq on the 1.8t is lowerI've killed three eclipses with both of the 1.8t's that i've had, the first one was chipped and the second one had a boost controler (which doesn't give you the same amount of gains. and all the eclipses were the V6. Now don't get me wrong, i somewhat like the eclispe and almost bought one when i was searching for a new car a couple of years ago, but the big turn off was the size inside. My gti felt so much bigger then the eclipse. Also you were saying that you might have kids soon and that two door will become a real bitch to load and unload those kids!!
jon

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Well stock VR6 in the late 90's was

Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 174 hp Max Horsepower: 5800 rpm
Torque: 181 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 3200 rpm

I say VR6 or if you can find a decent 1.8t in the 99.5/00 model, all you have to do is get a chip and your pushing 200hp with 240 torque on average. Here's a dyno sheet from APR. A few of us on here have this chip (or had in my case) and we all loved it.

204hp/242lb-ft AWD(engine code) 5spd

Trust me on this one. The torque will be pulling almost through the whole gear. I know the eclipse peak Tq is around 4k and make Hp is around 5k The tq on the 1.8t is lowerI've killed three eclipses with both of the 1.8t's that i've had, the first one was chipped and the second one had a boost controler (which doesn't give you the same amount of gains. and all the eclipses were the V6. Now don't get me wrong, i somewhat like the eclispe and almost bought one when i was searching for a new car a couple of years ago, but the big turn off was the size inside. My gti felt so much bigger then the eclipse. Also you were saying that you might have kids soon and that two door will become a real bitch to load and unload those kids!!
jon

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the info and comparison. i know the kids thing would be a real problem with the eclipse. i don't know, i still like driving it. i wish they hadn't gone to V6's and had stayed with 2.0 turbo's. those are $1000 away from 400hp and start with 205 stock.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Now i do agree with you on that. The GSR AWD's do kick ass. I've heard those turbo's can take alot of abuse and last forever. Seen some video's of some of them kicking everyone's ass.
jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Now i do agree with you on that. The GSR AWD's do kick ass. I've heard those turbo's can take alot of abuse and last forever. Seen some video's of some of them kicking everyone's ass.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean the gs-x's or the gs-t's. a gsr is an acura integra.

as for their reliability, that is debatable. some say they are bulletproof, some have constant troubles. guess it's all in how you take care of it and how lucky you are.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thephildo:

you mean the gs-x's or the gs-t's. a gsr is an acura integra.

as for their reliability, that is debatable. some say they are bulletproof, some have constant troubles. guess it's all in how you take care of it and how lucky you are.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it shows you how much i know about the diffrent models

jon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts