VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined to look into some VWs for my girlfriend. Either a 2014 Golf or a 2014 Jetta. I'll be honest, although I love the way VWs look, I haven't heard good things about their reliability. Can you guys give me an honest opinion of what to expect if I were to buy one of these cars? She'd definitely get an automatic. She commutes 90miles a day so what can I expect for realistic mileage, and which engine in the Jetta (excluding TDI- way too expensive) will give the best mileage? the 1.8? or will that be a dog?

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
For somebody that drives 90 miles a day or more I recommend a TDI I know you said it was a little more expensive but TDIs hold resale better, get way better fuel economy (if you look at fuel as an over all cost with your insurance and payment her savings will be phenomenal) and the TDIs last for ever. As to your question about reliability vws have more cars with over 100000 miles than any other car on the road. IF you get a 14 you get free oilchanges and tire rotations for 20k. The best part is an oil change is due every 10k vs 3-5k. (Money savings there).

The new 1.8t is not a dog. They have a 170hp with 184lbs tq. You don't have to run premium fuel in it like you do with most turbo cars. It is based off of the 2.0t which has been around since 05 and since than it has been updated and all the quirks have been worked out. They are direct injection which makes performance better and better mpgs. (normal fuel inject car is like pouring water in a funnel at all times and burning more fuel than needed. direct injecting is like putting water in a spray bottle and missing it. so direct injection burns more efficiently) realistically it all depends on how she drives I have personally gotten 35mpgs on the 1.8t.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the reply, great information, I appreciate it. What about the Jettas 2.0L or the Golfs 2.5L. Is the 2.0 (115hp, I believe?) a dog? I'm sure that the 2.5 is pretty fun to drive, but what kind of mileage would I get on either of these?

THanks

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
The 2.0 is an old motor it is based of the aba and aeg which have been around since the 90s. The motor if you get it in a stick isn't to bad but in automatic it is a dog. The 2.5 is a great motor and it is a strong motor however the reason they replaced it was due to fuel economy. They were able to get more torque out of a 1.8t than a 2.5 and still maintain a great mpg. The 2.0l non turbo gets great fuel economy upwards of 31-33 depending on how you drive it where the 2.5 can see 29-31 on the high end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts