VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 Jetta with a 1.8 that I just got back together and it wont start. It turns over fine, even runs while spraying starting fluid in the intake, but that's it. It has spark, its in time, has compression, just no fuel. I pulled the fuel pressure regulator off with every thing else hooked up (fuel line, vaccum lines) and turned it over and nothing came out to the fuel rail. It pumps fuel to the regulator fine and pressurizes to it but that is where it stops. I pinched the return lines to the tank and still nothing. I even put the regulator back on and pulled the fuel rail and injectors, still no fuel. So I went and bought a new fuel pressure regulator and that changed nothing. Does anyone out there have any ides what the issue could be?? Thank you.
Bryon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 90 Jetta with a 1.8 that I just got back together and it wont start. It turns over fine, even runs while spraying starting fluid in the intake, but that's it. It has spark, its in time, has compression, just no fuel. I pulled the fuel pressure regulator off with every thing else hooked up (fuel line, vaccum lines) and turned it over and nothing came out to the fuel rail. It pumps fuel to the regulator fine and pressurizes to it but that is where it stops. I pinched the return lines to the tank and still nothing. I even put the regulator back on and pulled the fuel rail and injectors, still no fuel. So I went and bought a new fuel pressure regulator and that changed nothing. Does anyone out there have any ides what the issue could be?? Thank you.
Bryon.
I can't remember if it is the same as an 85/87, but could it be an issue with the secondary pump next to the fuel filter? On the 85 there was a unit under the car on the passenger side. Fuel filter, fuel accumulator (pressure regulator?) and a secondary pump. Possibly a clogged filter/pump, leaking pump, or dead pump?

·
Registered
169 Posts
First thing to check is the fuel pump relay. Pull the relay and jumper between 30 and 87,
you should hear the pump running, if no check fuses, replace any faulty fuses, and try jumpering again. If still no action from the pump, you may have a bad pump.

Ainokea

·
Registered
56 Posts
First thing to check is the fuel pump relay. Pull the relay and jumper between 30 and 87,
you should hear the pump running, if no check fuses, replace any faulty fuses, and try jumpering again. If still no action from the pump, you may have a bad pump.

Ainokea
try again, Ain. Pump works, the fuel just doesn't make it to the rails/injectors. sure that'd be a relay? My experience says no, but I don't know everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts