VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up? I just kinda "inherited" my dads 02 GTI because i blew my old motor in the mazda i had and he's trying to help me get back on my feet with this car... anyway i'll be buying it from him in about 3 months but the only problem is its the tiptronic tranny... Anyone know if its even worth messing with it or doing a tranny swap? Or if anyone in the Northern VA area could help me out when the time comes?

I'd like to know before I went and threw down the money for the car if its even worth doing the tranny swap... I can't drive auto, its too boring.

Its a great little car... Fast as anything too, I'd really like to buy it but I need to know about this first.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Can you swap the trannies? Yes.
Would I recommend it? No.

The wisest thing to do here is to either accept driving a trippy or go down to your dealer and ask what kind of trade in you can get towards the same car in a stick. The difference in price may be less than your cost of swapping trannies.

·
Registered
324 Posts
theres also a chip available called the tip chip that makes the tiptronic more real time... i wish i could remember who made it but i know its out there, my friend had one on his passat

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if your only gonna have it for 3 months. why bother doin somethign like that. just save up and get yourself a stick when you can afford it on your car. thats pritty sweet your dad let you do that though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Can you swap the trannies? Yes.
Would I recommend it? No.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I agree...stay with what you have. Although stick would be nice, for the amount of loot you would invest to do the tranny, you could mod that turbo to a level even a 5/6 speed enthusiast would enjoy. APR does have a chip for that and their serial port tunning will be available in days. That alone will make your cruiser more enjoyable. Throw in a down pipe, exhaust, and a couple other goodies and you will have a quick tip 1.8T.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Swapping trannies is going to be a very expensive job. Just check out the prices on the parts alone, then figure in labor, and I think you will have your answer right there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts