VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jus wanted to get some opinion on some tires everyone is running with. i have an appointment to get new tires put on my 17's next week and im lookin to get a good tire that won't wear out quick. the tires that came with the wheel package were kumho's. if u were at import war or at the gtg last week im sure u saw how my tires were... lol so i thought i'd throw this out to see if anyone has had good life out of a certain tire. the size im goin with is 205/40/17. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts

Dunlop SP Sport 9000 run about $120. They ZR Speed Rated and Tirerack gives them 3.5 star rating.

Pirelli P7000 SUPERSPORT run about $90. They are only WR Speed Rated. But still are a half decent meat for $90.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Here is a review of tires that I posted on another board a few months ago.

Yokohama AVS ES100's 225/50/16 - Well IMO, I am very impressed with these tires. I like them a lot better than the Kumho's I got last summer, and will probably buy another set of these for next year.

The tires seem to perform about the same as the Kumhos, just as sticky, and handling is very good, maybe a touch better. The dry traction is great, and a massive improvement over the winter tires I have had on. They also seem much more predictable when they start to break away than the Kumho's were.

The wet traction (it was pouring this morning on the way to work) is great as I was zooming along at 80mph on the open highway this morning to work and noticed no hydroplaning at all. After I get off the highway, I have about 10 miles of back roads that I take to avoid traffic, that never have traffic and have some great twisties. I usually test out new suspension/brake/tire mods here as you can see all the way around the turns so you know to slow down for oncoming traffic. It has some low speed tight corners that are perfect for the top of second gear that I can usually do some small 4 wheel drifts around when you let off the throttle half way through, and I found it very difficult to break the car loose on the turns despite the down pour. I am very happy with this.

The tires also have less road noise than the Kumho's. The noise is about the same as my winter Mich. XGTH4's that are on my Avus wheels. Something I noticed about my Kumho's that I don't notice now is the car used to track and pull from side to side when I hit inconsistencies (spell?) on the roads surface, usually open highway at cruising speeds, and I really didn't like this. I experience none of this with the ES100's.

Also, I really like the side walls on the Yokohama's. The way they are designed is that there is a lip of rubber around the edge of the wheel that also protects it from curbs and accidental damage to the wheel. I like this a lot. It also for some reason has the sidewall designed so that it looks and appears to be a much lower profile tire than it actually is (this is great for the looks of the tire, which is not very important but a nice perk).

IMO, these tires are a great value, and unless you are concerned with cutting a few tenths off your track times, these are the tires everyone should be buying instead of the mid and high end tires like the S03's, GY Eagle F1's, etc. They perform about the same as Kumho's, maybe a little better when it comes to dry surfaces, but the other perks I mentioned above I feel make them a beter value. Plus they have a wear rating of 280 so I hope to get at least 20,000 miles of abuse and a few Autox's out of them this summer.

Did I mention that the tread pattern looks pretty badass too, much better than the Kumho's?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
me and brain both have sumitomo htr+'s. we both love them, brains on his second set. and ill probly be gettin another set of them for my next set. and they are only 101$ from tire rack for 225/45/17 and they are great in the rain.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
yeah yokos are pretty nice, they dont wear too fast and they are not expensive<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But I paid for my Yoko's almost as much as I paid for my wheels.
Oh yeah, I got my wheels at cost. Perhaps that's why.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
yeah I love my sumitomos htr+. they are sweet. and a kick ass tread pattern as well. If I were you, and Im not, I would go with thicker than 205 if you can-dont know if you can have thicker in front-I had 225 on my 16s, and I have 215 (cause I was told the 225s would be to thick on 17s)-liars-rich has 225/45/17s on his 17" wheels. also the sumitomos handle quite well in the snow-it was snowing one day really hard on my way to work from my girlfriends house, and did not slip at all. oh for all who dont know, my name is NOT brain (like rich keeps saying), but its brian. hahah I read it 2 times, then he keeps typing it as brain. hahaha.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... ok whatever BRAIN!
LOL!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dubwink:
Yeah... ok whatever BRAIN!
LOL!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would make you Pinky, Rich. Or am I wrong? LOL

Mark, you are absolutely correct!!!

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i've been reading up on the Yoko's and im leaning towards them.. i'll let u guys know when i finalize my decision... hows it goin BRAIN lol...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
That would make you Pinky, Rich. Or am I wrong? LOL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats correct thomas!! I will take over the WORLD!!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Rich: So Brian, what are we going to do tomorrow night?
Brian: Same thing we do every night Rich, Try to take over the world.

okokok. i found it funny. sry, bad joke. i am really tired so dont get mad at me

·
Registered
433 Posts
i thought that it was pretty funny timmay. i was actually thinking the same thing haha

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have falken ziex tires on my car. I got them for $85. But that was dealer price. I've had then for 2 1/2 years.(Not on in the winter and they are still in good shape. I don't do burnouts all over the place. I like them alot.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I have Dunlops right now and I am not happy with how fast they are wearing. I definitely did see your front tires at IW, and they are pretty low (meaning 1 drop of rain may cause you to spin right around on the highway). So are you going to take my advice and stick with the 17's and get some new springs that won't lower your car so much?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have those yoko"s on my jetta as well.I like these alot ,and for me to say this is impressive because I go through tire once a season.I do drive very hard .And I put only a couple of thousand miles on my car a year now,I am hoping my tires will last longer now!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I love my sumitomos htr+. they are sweet. and a kick ass tread pattern as well. If I were you, and Im not, I would go with thicker than 205 if you can-dont know if you can have thicker in front-I had 225 on my 16s, and I have 215 (cause I was told the 225s would be to thick on 17s)-liars-rich has 225/45/17s on his 17" wheels. also the sumitomos handle quite well in the snow-it was snowing one day really hard on my way to work from my girlfriends house, and did not slip at all. oh for all who dont know, my name is NOT brain (like rich keeps saying), but its brian. hahah I read it 2 times, then he keeps typing it as brain. hahaha.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i ordered my tires today. i went with the Yokohama's. they are being shipped out of delaware so i should have them early this upcoming week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts