VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a recent convert to Volkswagen and I really don't know much about them. I have researched this issue a couple times on the internet and haven't been able to narrow it down to anything at all… I should probably mention that I live in Canada as well so this model of Golf has "City" tagged to the end of it?

I own a 2007 Golf City (MK5-2.0L) and the engine light came on the other day. I didn't think much of it right away until I had shut the car off after finishing my short drive and when I had got back in to go, the car wouldn't start! It sounded like it really wanted to, almost as if it was flooded or something. Fluttering around and whatnot. I got it to rev up after the 3rd attempt or so but then it bogged down and shut off again. I started the car again and kept it going with a little help from the accelerator and then it seemed ok after it was running for a second. This happened a few times and continues to do so… It seems to only really do it when the engine is warm as well. Starting it in the morning or after it's been sitting for hours it seems to be okay.

I'm totally stumped as to what it could be! If anyone has had this problem before and could offer me some insight that would be awesome!

·
Registered
82 Posts
2007 mk5

Start with basic.
Install new plugs, air filter & gas filter. See how the car react from there.
;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with basic.
Install new plugs, air filter & gas filter. See how the car react from there.
;)
This problem has gradually gotten worse. I was on my way to work the other morning and the car completely died at 110 on the highway. I was able to manage to get it going again, but like I said before it needed some help. I took it to the dealer and they replaced my fuel filter because they thought that was the problem after explaining it to them in person. On my way home from the dealer later that day I had the car completely die again, also on the highway but this time I couldn't get it going at all. Maybe it is the fuel pump this time? Someone mentioned it could be a crank sensor… I'm going to do some research to see what that's all about.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This problem has gradually gotten worse. I was on my way to work the other morning and the car completely died at 110 on the highway. I was able to manage to get it going again, but like I said before it needed some help. I took it to the dealer and they replaced my fuel filter because they thought that was the problem after explaining it to them in person. On my way home from the dealer later that day I had the car completely die again, also on the highway but this time I couldn't get it going at all. Maybe it is the fuel pump this time? Someone mentioned it could be a crank sensor… I'm going to do some research to see what that's all about.

Thanks!!
I'm suprise the dealer didn't do this yet but.... get your car scanned! A scan will likely tell you exactly what it is, so do so asap. Record codes and post back. An auto parts store will likely scan for free.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two things you can try:
- disconnect the battery to "reset" the system (dont do with hot engine). wait 15 minutes or so and replug. The ECU will relearn most basic functions of the engine, including mass air flow metering, traction control, electric windows,....It might reset your problem for a while?
-Fuse SB14 in the fuse box located by the battery is feeding all four ignition coils, swap or replace with a new 20 Amp , you could have bad contact or thermal break that kill the power to the coils?
Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts