VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't shoot me for the basic questions, I'm new to Vw.

2004 GTI 1.8t stock

Oil Changes. I plan To do these myself. The dealer said not to use synthetic oil until I hit 10,0000 miles. Is this correct?
Somebody also suggested changing the oil durring the break in period around 1000 miles. Is this a good idea.

Looking for a good shop in Northern NJ.

Any suggestions for Audio and Tint in Northern NJ.

Stock looking headlights that I can add Foglights to. (VR6 headlights from dealer $300 each ouch!.)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Nothing is special about the oil. Run the car to 5K and then switch to synthetic...the motor should be broken in after the first 1500 miles or so, run it to 5K and then switch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Where abouts in northern NJ are you? There are a few places I know of in NJ but i dunno how close you are. Also dont forget when using synthetic oil the oil filter still has to be changed every 3000 miles even if the oil isnt.

·
Registered
291 Posts
oh yea and by the way welcome to the VWF family...almsot forgot that

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Its just oil and filter together every 5,000 man. If running conventional oil I would change every 3,000 (oil and filter), synthetic every 5,000 (oil and filter).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As for the lights with fogs. I know yo can get new ones from several sites like tm-tuning. Look in the pull down menu at the top of the home page.

Another option would be to find a pre-2003 GTI at a junk yard, which all came with the fogs, and pilfer their lights. I am pretty sure the 2K3 is the year they dummed down the lights...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Dealership in Northern NJ? Well, where do you work again Carson?

That would be your best bet, seeing as how Carson is a VW certified Tech. Pretty cool to be able to get to know your Tech before you ever even take the car in...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
Dealership in Northern NJ? Well, where do you work again Carson?

That would be your best bet, seeing as how Carson is a VW certified Tech. Pretty cool to be able to get to know your Tech before you ever even take the car in...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carson actually works in NY. The dealer is right on the other side of the NJ/NY border but Carson actually lives in the Montclair area too.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ldallas:
Does Carson do side work?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty confident that he would if you make a contribution to his modding fund. I'll let him answer that for you though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ldallas:
Probably another dumb question but....

Is the a certain RPM where the turbo kicks in?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it kicks in around 2000-2750 rpms depending on what gear you are in and what mods you have. It does not provide the full amount of boost immeadiately but must "spool" up to full boost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
there is a good place in Rahway that does great work on audio and they send thier customers to The Tint Shop for tints...i don't know where that is located but my friend got his tints done thier and they did a great job. The place that installs audio equipment is called Street Effectz...you can check out some of the work that they have done on thier website... Street Effectz ...they are really nice and i was really happy with the way they treated me when i took my cousin's car down thier to get her system installed. they also did a nice job on the installation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just a word of advice, if you're changing your own oil, be sure to document it well, keep all the reciepts for the oil and filters...sometimes they'll use it as an excuse to get out of warranty repairs: "Oh, well it's because you never changed your oil..."

Bunch of BS...so just keep all that stuff together, just to be safe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts