VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately no 13's, but I did get a new best time. Saturday was packed at Maple Grove, plus I got there pretty late at around 2pm (too much halloween drinking the night before) so I only got 2 runs in. First run was pretty decent, I managed to pull a 2.2 60' time and thought for sure I was gonna go 13's on the run and then I bumped the rev limiter in 2nd gear
. I ended up going 14.2 @ 98mph. My second run was horrible, 2.5 60' time and ended up going 14.6 @ 99mph

I will be going back one more time this year to Cecil County on 11/15 for the test and tune that starts in the morning. I really don't like Maple Grove that much, for me the distance is the same to Maple or Cecil, and I have pulled much better times for the mods I had done at Cecil County. From what I have seen, my car tends to be about .3 seconds faster and about 3mph faster at Cecil County.

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
wow that's a crazy time!

now just think about it if you get a stage 3 turbo your into 13's no problem. probably even 12's!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rhivr6:
hey man i got some pics of ur car at maple the other day...email or PM me if u want me to send em to ya.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I think I saw your car but you were moving in the lane down to the lights, and when I saw it sitting still I didn't know which guy you were standing there, there were a few people around it. Anyhow, the car looks great. I would love to see the pics, as long as the file is less than 1mb, send to [email protected]. If the file is larger than that, let me know and I will figure something out so I can get them from you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
nice times matt. I'll be in touch about my suspension. I have been real busy lately<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just get in touch w/ me. FYI...I will probably be moving in the beginning of Dec. and I am not so sure if the new place will have a huge ass garage, so you might want to get in touch in the next few weeks if you want to do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Congrats, good times!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
wow that's a crazy time!

now just think about it if you get a stage 3 turbo your into 13's no problem. probably even 12's!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the props guys, I do have some pretty good times I guess for a car that came w/ 150hp stock, but I know the car has a lot more in it just the way it sits now. My goal is to get into the high 13's on street tires, and then hopefully mid 13's on drag radials. The first run I had was definately a 13 second run, if only I hadn't hit the rev limiter in second gear. This was at Maple Grove too, I will be going to Cecil County next and that track is much faster since it is so close to sea level. I average about .3 quicker, and 3mph faster trap speeds at Cecil County so I should be good for some 13's there even with a half ass launch. Once I break 13's the way it sits now and get a second set of wheels as a beater car I will be doing some additional power mods that should give me the ability to run low low 13's, high 12's. I need a second set of wheels though in case I blow it up so I can still get to work.

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Those are some good times. You defnitely should be able to break into the 13's. I know someone at New England Dragway that ran 13.9 with an APR chip, cat back exhaust, CAI, N75, and downpipe.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to rhivr6 I got the following pic. I also have a video of my 14.2 run he recorded for me if someone wants to host it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Congrats man on a great time

Oh ya, quick question for you. Is Maple Grove pricks about having full exhaust on your car? I have a turn down pipe for after my cat that I want to use and the remainder of the exhaust will be on the car, just not in use. Do you think it will get through? Never tried doing it before and just wanted to make sure it would be cool. TIA
!

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by evilgti2000:
Congrats man on a great time

Oh ya, quick question for you. Is Maple Grove pricks about having full exhaust on your car? I have a turn down pipe for after my cat that I want to use and the remainder of the exhaust will be on the car, just not in use. Do you think it will get through? Never tried doing it before and just wanted to make sure it would be cool. TIA
!

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the props. Maple Grove is definately the most strict around when it comes to NHRA regulations, but I don't see why they would give you crap about your exhaust. I know several people in street driven 10 and 11 second dsm's that have open dumptubes w/ no cat at all and never had a problem with getting through the tech stations. The stuff they are concerned with is if you have nitrous, you need a blowdown tube, and if your in the 11's, they want you to have a cage. They even let me go through knowing I should be in the 13's and my helmet is not Snell approved.

Beaver Springs though is awesome, they were letting us take passengers down the track on our private track day. I saw a guy there that only had one arm (his left one at that

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
damn who ran the 10.6 at 126???

what car was it?

and i must say again that the 14.2 is one hell of a time! what kind of racing techniques to u use? when do u drop the clutch? when do u shift?

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
damn who ran the 10.6 at 126???

what car was it?

and i must say again that the 14.2 is one hell of a time! what kind of racing techniques to u use? when do u drop the clutch? when do u shift?

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe it or not, the 10.6 @ 126 was a Chevy Cavalier. I dont know what was done to it, but it was rearwheel drive, had huge slicks on it, and I think was running on alcohol. It sucks pretty bad to get smoked by a cavalier.

In terms of how I get my times, I launch at about 2500-2800 rpms. Instead of dropping the clutch, I slowly feed the clutch into it and am not off the clutch completely till about 4500-5000 rpms. I also am not on the gas the whole way till about 4500-5000 rpms. If you do it just right, you won't bog, and you won't sit there and burn out. I also shift at about 7000 rpms in each gear, and even though it is near redline, I don't shift into 4th gear at the end, I just hold third the whole way till I hit the traps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts