VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post, following for several months from Cleveland, Ohio.

98 Cabrio 2.0 ABA. I have searched and read many posts but am not sure where to go next.

No crank situation. When I turn the key to start, I get nothing at all...no click, just dead silence. I bypassed the ignition switch by jumping battery to the starter and it cranked, fired, and ran great. Scratch the battery (which is new) and the starter as possible culprits.

After reading a post here, I tested the voltage on the relevant pin on the ignition switch and got nothing. Thinking this was the culprit, I laid down my $12 and replaced the ignition switch. However, I get the same result (nothing) when I turn the key.

Where do I go from here? When I attempted to start previously, I had the clutch depressed, so I am doubting the clutch safety switch.

Guidance please? Many thanks. Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
I assume there would be a starter relay bridging from the ignition signal and supplying the switching voltage to the starter coil. I would try to see if there is voltage to the relay when you turn the key. If not, you have to trace the wiring back to the key. If there is current, though, your problem is probably with the relay, but you can check further before buying anything by bridging the relay circuit to power the starter. If it turns, get a new relay. If it doesn't, check the wiring to the starter motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts