VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 VW Passat GLS bought a couple of months back.

When the temperature outside reaches 39°F, the temperature display on the car's instrument panel briefly flashes with a "Ding" sound (similar to seat-belt warning' sound) to signify frosty conditions.

But for the past couple of days, when the temperature reaches 39°F, the "Ding" sound is not being played!!..(only the display is flashing).

I don't think that "Ding" sound can be turned on/off..

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

thanks,

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: sreecha ]

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: sreecha ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Ahhh yes the mysterious 39 degree ding. I have the same thing in my GTI. It would make sense say if it was 32 degress as that is freezing but 39 I have no clue where this came from. So I would like to know too? Boys???

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I think it's to give you a heads up that at this temp that maybe the roads are cold enough to have ice on them (even though the air isn't the ground temp could be lower). That's the best thing I can come up with...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Its the electrokelvinometer. It senses the chemical make up of the atmosphere to determine the temperature when moisture molecules can begin to deautomate to the point that the viscosity when combined with road surfaces become porous enough to create frictional disengagement of the road surface.

in other words,

your dinger is broke.

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Its the electrokelvinometer. It senses the chemical make up of the atmosphere to determine the temperature when moisture molecules can begin to deautomate to the point that the viscosity when combined with road surfaces become porous enough to create frictional disengagement of the road surface.

in other words,

your dinger is broke.

[ January 14, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

electrokelvinometer or fluxcapcitor? Sometimes I just wonder

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The "ding" comes from your instrument cluster. If it doesn't ding, it probably needs a new cluster, unfortunately...but lucky you, you get a new one under warranty!

I have a GLX...and its really funny...my little friend I call "Snowflake" comes on as soon as it hits 39 degrees, but when its 6 degrees outside...snowflake is nowhere to be found. It returns when the temp is at 24 degrees, for some odd reason...I might be a little off on the temp, but I will pay attention when I drive the car to work tomorrow.

I just think its a little wierd to have the snowflake in a certain temperature window rather than just have it default on at temps below 39...

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
electrokelvinometer or fluxcapcitor? Sometimes I just wonder
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indubidably!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Oh yeah, heres the deal:

If the car is above 40F, and it dips to 39F, the snowflake pops up. If the car is below 23F the snowflake won't appear. but if it is 23F or above, the snowflake is on. So the snowflake window is 23F-39F.

Who really cares? I dunno, I'm just posting the info for those that do.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Doesn't it ding at 23 too, mine seems to sometimes when I get there. That's the "Not it's not just icy, it's REALLY icy" warning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts