VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as of now my 8v gti isnt firing at all so can anyone help me, what should I check and please list every thing that could have caused this thanks.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Are you getting spark from coil lead but not at plugs or no spark anywhere? If you have spark anywhere, then your problem is in plug wires (including the one to the coil) and/or the distributor cap/rotor so change all these. If you get no spark at all then its either in the dist/ignition module system. Possible causes:
Hall sender in dist or the tiny wires inside the dist are kaput.
Short or open circuit in wire harness between dist and ignition module.
Ignition module kaput.
Short or open circuit in wire harness between ignition module and coil.
Coil kaput.
No voltage getting to ignition system at all...this happend to me once, switch contact in steering column failed in start position only so no voltage got to ignition at all when you turned key to "start" position. Drove me nuts till I hooked up voltmeter to positive coil terminal and watched volts go to zero when I keyed "start". You can wire up a 12v light from coil positive to ground if you don't have volt/ohm meter. Use light to check continuity of all the wires in harness too. Check out the wiring before you start changing components....doesn't cost anything but an hour's time.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 2 of 2 Posts