VW Forum banner

No idle after timing belt change

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave33 
#1 ·
First of all, let me apologize if there's already a thread for this issue, I looked for awhile and still couldn't find where someone else had this issue. I've got a 99 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0L MKIII with 170,000 on it. I just changed the timing belt and water pump on it, and as I reinstall everything (alternator, AC compressor, etc) I go to start it, and it sounds rough. really rough. I've got all of the hoses and such hooked up, and it's just nasty sounding. It barely idles, and when it does it's around 400 RPM, and when I rev it past 4000 it dies, or at least drops VERY close to 0 RPM and then I can give some gas to keep it going. Also, I have no check engine light on, but I think that's because the fool who had the car before me took it out to coax me into buying the car, so really I can't tell if I have the light on or not.

My question is do I have to go back and adjust the timing or does it sound like a different issue? Sorry for the lengthy post.

#2 ·
It most likely the timing your gonna wanna fix that or at least make sure the timing is correct before running it anymore. If you make sure the timing is correct throw a code on purpose by unplugging a sensor or vacuum tube if the light doesn't come on and you know it should throw a code then the bulb is gone or somehow disconnected.

#3 · (Edited)
If you're sure everything is hooked back up correctly (hoses, Plugs) then it has to be either valve timing or ignition timing. Start with the easy one which is ignition timing. Get it set to TDC and check the rotor position. It should be pointing right the #1 plug wire. There is also a notch in the Dist. body that it lines up with.
If the ignition is right then re-check the valve timing.
You really need to run a scan.

Here's a great DIY
MKIII Timing Belt and full water pump page.
Another good link
VWVortex.com - p0341 and timing belt check...
Get a check engine bulb back in the cluster. That's very easy to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.