VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My car doesn't go in reverse. It drives fine, just can't put it in reverse. I was told it could be a solenoid, transmission fluid (it has plenty of, so that's not it), and worse case scenario it needs a new transmission or have it rebuilt.

I've been looking around for a transmission, having it rebuilt is going to cost me about $2,000-$3,000 so I'm looking for a used one. Before I go committing to buying the transmission I wanted to know if anyone can give me some input. Has anyone ever had this problem? Please help...I think the auto shop I brought it to is just telling me it's the tranny to get more money out of me.

Please help :-/

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes reverse solenoids burn out. Very easy to replace best place to buy them is at the dealership. Pop the pan and check the coils with an ohm meter and replace the open one.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Be careful with used tranny's, it may cost you more if you get a bad one. Ask if it was stored indoors, you don't want one that was stored outside. Make sure you buy from a reputalble place, just in case you get a bad one and need an exchange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts