VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2001 VW Jetta wagon 2.0 AZG, 5spd with 106,000 miles, 1 owner. I had my ASE certified mechanic replace the right front (passenger side) axle as I was getting a wobble effect on a long curve with moderate acceleration. Mechanic couldn't see any noticeable grease or leaks around either front end boots so I told him to just replace the right front axle and we would start with that.
After replacement, I don't have a wobble but a fairly serious sounding grind during 1st thru 3rd gear when the engine reaches ~3000 rpm. I don't force the rev's past that due to the noise increase. Kinda sounds like holding a metal piece or screwdriver to a greased up spline while it is turning.

Mechanic informed me of this and that I would need to drive it home and bring it back the next day as they had already asked the parts house to order a new one suspecting that this one was defective.

Any ideas as to what this is? Is it likely that a new axle would be that bad? It is not a OEM axle.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Axle could be defective or the axle nut is not torqued to spec. I just removers mine last weekend. Reinstalled it and drove it. Started getting a growling noise when turning a certain way. Here the axle nut was not torqued down enough. I cranked it down and it is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I took it back for the new axle to be swapped with another new axle and the same noise reappeared. Reinstalled the old axle and the noise is gone. I haven't gotten to drive it around my long steady uphill curve to see if the wobble during acceleration is back. I suppose that I will need to get a OEM part to cure this.?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Save the Autozone parts for Honda. At least 85% of the parts you would replace have to be OEM or better. Most Autozone shit is made in China.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Although I don't know the MK4s as well as MK3s I was wondering if you need a washer between the hub and the nut on the outboard side. That could make it loose in the hub. I know that aftermarket axles for MK3 don't come with this and you have reuse the old one. Also is the inner packed with grease? Again the ones for mine weren't and I had to pack them on my own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts