VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine all today makes a lot of noise when at idle and in mid run. it sounds like the belts. its not a squealing though and all the belts are tight. could it be the pulleys? its hard to describe the sound "scruuush-scruuush?" in a repeating way like something is turning and making the sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Start up your car, open the hood and listen to all of your pulley's carefully, it may sound kinda dumb but listen close....and if it comes from near your alternator, then it is your alternator bearing. I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be my alternator bearing so i replaced the whole alternator because it wasnt charging right.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heyhey thats the kinda response i was looking for. im kinda low on cash cuz i just did the clutch and now paint... could i just oil the bearing?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i dont know if its a knocking or not but it very well could be a rod bearing, tensioner bearing....sorry i cant help more

·
Registered
22 Posts
does it change with rpm?

"scrush" kind of sounds like super tight powersteering belt to me... again, difficult to say though.

a bearing can be replaced at any bearing shop for probably 4-5 bucks, including them heating and/or shrink fitting. We have 2 shops in my little hick town in ontario.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts