VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(re. 2003 Jetta)

I didn't pay the ludicrous $495 for the factory changer. Anyone know of a cheap changer that'll work with the head system and what adapter will be required?

One of the fellers @ the dealership told me that you can only use a VW changer 'cos the alarm system will be all upset. I don't believe it for a second, of course..

I trust installing it is pretty simple too - the wiring is presumably already in place? Not like the first day I had my Civic and had the entire dash apart and carpet up

·
Registered
174 Posts
it should be pre wired, people are always selling the changers on e-bay, just get the proper spec from the dealer. I'm not sure which after market ones fit; I was told Clarion and Pioneer will work with an adapter.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yeah i see vw chager on ebay all the time for like 200-225..... those are just plug and play since you should already be prewired for a changer

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i got my panasonic from crutchfield for like 225 or so, and you just plug it in and your good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey man I work at Circuit City in the install part and just a few weeks ago I had a guy come on like yourself. There is a plug made by blitzsafe that went to an alpine changer. Works directly through the factory head unit. You can get that Plug from any Circuit City for like around 20 dollars if i remmber right?

~Travis

·
Registered
676 Posts
I used to work at a stereo shop. If you go to an aftermarket stereo shop they can sell you an adapter that will simply plug right into your radio. From there you run the cable for the changer and your are done. They can tell you what type and all.

The other things is......go on Ebay, they sell those changers sometimes for really cheap and that would be an easier way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Got the Alpine CHM-S630 and BlitzSafe (which wasn't as cheap as $20 sadly). Works a treat, 20 second install.
Happily, the changer was an open box unit, which evened out the price of the BlitzSafe.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I only used my CD changer for 9 months and then I got a new deck that wasn't compatible, so if you would like to buy mine, let me know and we can talk about a price. You can email me at [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts