VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the diff between obd1 and obd2 and how can i tell what my car is?

·
Registered
413 Posts
it stands for OnBoard Diagnostic, not sure exactly what it does. I think it's for emissions and whatnot, and since you have a MK3, you have OBD2.

check, www.obdii.com, I'm not too sure since you have a 95, but I'd put my bets on OBD2.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
93 - January 1996 is OBDI
After January 1996 - 99.5 is OBDII

I don't know the exactly (Aaron and Carson will) but the OBDI was equiped with oil squirters and it flowed better then the later OBDII. They have different T-bodies, I do not know why tho...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:

I don't know the exactly (Aaron and Carson will) but the OBDI was equiped with oil squirters and it flowed better then the later OBDII. They have different T-bodies, I do not know why tho...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you got a 95 ... it's obd1 i believe its for the emissions monitoring system. but i am sure you have an obd1.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
OBDII has more emission controls and single valve springs

OBDI doesnt haev as many emissions controls and dual valve springs therfor it will be faster

·
Registered
194 Posts
I so wish I had an OBD1, if not for the fact it has oil sqiurters, dual valve springs,and a tuneable throttle body, it would definitely be for the fact that it doesn't have an airpump. I hate that thing.

OBD1 2.0's are more siuted for turbo's. BTW, didn't they have a stronger crankshaft also.

Die! OBD2! Die!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VWSportCompact96:
Is there any way you can swap, like put a obd1 in if you have an obd2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not legally.

It's really how the engine control system works. OBD2 monitors a lot more, and is more precise about fueling. The injectors on OBD2 are sequentially fired instead of batch fired like OBD1. OBD2 has 2 O2 sensors, and on and on.

OBD2 VR6s came with coilpacks instead of distirbutors.

It's a better diagnostic system to make life easy for guys like Carson. More lights, more codes, more sensors.

And yes, the OBD1 2L came with a stronger crank, dual valve springs, and oil squirters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

some january 96 models are OBDII, not all of them...

on the OBDI, i dont recall that they have a TPS, i can be wrong or it looks different from OBDII..it also has some kind of square thing right next to the manifold, some kind of valve of some sort...

the rumor about the oil squriters not on OBDII cars is because sometimes it will trigger a random mis-fire and/or code, i dont know how, but thats what im hearing from different sources...

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaFabolous2.0:

some january 96 models are OBDII, not all of them...

on the OBDI, i dont recall that they have a TPS, i can be wrong or it looks different from OBDII..it also has some kind of square thing right next to the manifold, some kind of valve of some sort...

the rumor about the oil squriters not on OBDII cars is because sometimes it will trigger a random mis-fire and/or code, i dont know how, but thats what im hearing from different sources...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry I did not post the exact day they went from OBDI to OBDII!

OBDI do not have TPS like the OBDII does.

Your new here, you will learn quickly that Aaron(fourt1thirty) is one of the, if not the most knowledgable persons on here. We all belive what he says 100%. What sources are you getting the squirter information from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts