VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Please don't try to dissuade me from getting the k04 because i'm not gonna have the dough to drop on something bigger/better.
I found a really cheap turbo, but can't determine if it's a k04 or k03. Plus the parts call center is as useless as you'd expect them to be and can only confirm fitment as opposed to the actual size of the turbo. Anyone have any ideas or know of some other place i can get a cheap k04-001? Also, was there ever an AWP Audi TT? and if so, what was its stock turbo?

http://http://www.carparts.com/details/Replacement/Turbocharger/REPV290103.html?AID=10963303&PID=3468012&cj=1&CID=2416699
Here is the link to the turbo i found. Thank you all in advance for your help i've never been disappointed by the results on this site.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
KO3 replacement.

Don't cheap out on turbos or turbo upgrades.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
xsboostturbochargers sells completely rebuilt turbos and pays you 75 for your core.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Frankenturbo.

Agreed, if you are going to go KO4, and have no intentions on going bigger, just get a Hybrid KO4 and it is priced well.

FrankenTurbo Home

There are some of the F23 models doing close to 400 (with a TON or tuning and mods, but still possible) Or it can run as a direct replacement for your KO3(s) and give you a nice boost in power for a DD car.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
buy a good turbo. it is not a quick simple job to change one out and a cheap one will not last very long

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the feedback guys. And yeah, I guess it was wishful thinking to expect a $250 turbo would be worth installing and I'd never forgive myself if I bought it only to have it crap out on me.
Considering my budget i'll probably go used/rebuilt as nice as it would be to get a grand together and buy a new one...
Thing is, I have an aftermarket cast manifold i'm porting that fits a k03/k04 and a 3" exhaust with the 4-bolt flange so it'd be nice to just throw a k04 in there no fuss no muss.
The goal is to drive down to waterfest and get the k04 file from APR for some conservative reliable power for my DD.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
you can get a k03 rebuilt into a k04 hybrid. they put a k04 wheel and i think bore the housing out a little bit. thats what im running in my car. although either the guy that did mine messed up or i wasnt easy enough on it on the break in because the seals are messed up not even a year later. it is an option though and it is a noticeable difference even with no tune on it

·
Registered
981 Posts
Why send the BW k03 out when you can just buy a BRAND NEW F21, n sell the old turbo. will end up being the same $$

oh and dont get APR!!!! The tunes are terribly conservative and there are much better options. But if you are looking for a "canned" tune then you options are limited.

But any stock frame turbo upgrade will cost around $1000 even with used/2nd hand products.

If the turbo hasnt died yet, dont touch it. Save your $$ and get what you want the 1st time!

(trust me, Ive been there, look at me now :-/)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking like a rebuilt/used k04 is the way to go for me just gotta save my pennies I guess. Gotta find me some cheap quality parts(oxymoron).

...to the FS/FT section!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts