VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need to replace the oem turbo on my 98 a4,i wanted to put one of the newer "ko3 sport" oem turbos on it sense they can handle more power. I was trying to find out which year audi's I can get the turbo from that will be a direct
replacement, or which year passat's would be a direct replacement. I just plan on buying a used one from a junkyard or recycler so the price should be just right if i can find out which one exactly that I need. any help be greatful

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well i know in VW, the new K03 sport was being put onto the 1.8t starting in the 2002 models. but from what i remember, Audi's 1.8t has been a little diffrent so i'm not sure when it was put on for Audi.
jon

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know that the passat's turbo will bolt up to an audi but that is the only vw that will. So I am trying to find out which year model has the better turbo for passat and audi's so I can call the used parts stores and know what to ask for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the aftermarket kit i want is the apr stage3, can't afford that, can't afford $1500 for just a turbo either, junkyard prices will work until I can get the real upgrade.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
I think you should go get a K04 from an audi TT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep except it's not the turbo that's the problem..your most difficult task will be tuning the software.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a K03(non-sport)sitting in my garage.
How much were you looking to spend????

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Well i know in VW, the new K03 sport was being put onto the 1.8t starting in the 2002 models. but from what i remember, Audi's 1.8t has been a little diffrent so i'm not sure when it was put on for Audi.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the K03 Sport was in all AWW (2001.5) and newer engines.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
Actually the K03 Sport was in all AWW (2001.5) and newer engines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was 2002.
jon

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I may have found a ko3 sport with low miles for $300, waiting to hear back from the guy.
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to be sure and post about an power gains that I get from this change, then maybe that will clear up all of the "there's no difference in those turbo's" or the "you won't be any faster with the newer turbo's". It was hard to get info about this, everyone just voiced opinions instead of giving info on most of the boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts