VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to start a thread discussing Custom Headlights. Whether its a Joey Mod, Lens Refurbish, Or Retrofit... Please feel free to ask questions or add anything or any knowledge you'd like to share!

First let me start with "DONT PUT HID/XENONS IN REFLECTOR HOUSINGS!"

That being said, Please include details/descriptions!:K: Ill go ahead and start:

Here's my Car/Retrofits. Details:
- Bixenon FXRs in 20th lights
- Dual Amber Turns
- 4300k Bulbs
- 35w OEM toyota Ballasts
- e46 shrouds

Close Up:

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
im thinking about using TL projectors. they are a bit bigger. not sure yet. i want to pick up another set of lights so im not using my set. any opinions on the actual HID's? im thinking around 5-8k.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TLs are very nice, but VERY big. No way they'd even fit in GTI housings!

I wouldnt suggest anything higher than 5k...Xenon lighting rule of thumb = As bulb temp increases, light output decreases

I run 4300ks. My reasoning is if your gonna upgrade yourlights, might as well maximize the output. Also, why try and Immitate xenon with blue bulbs if you have Real ones making people jealous! :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
i love my HID's i just got 6000k's and they are bright as hell i wouldnt go any higher than that though. I put them in saturday i think i have them adjusted pretty good i want to tweak them a little though

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wouldnt say custom but they are aftermarket. I like them so far.

Just a comparison of what i had (Silvania Silverstar ZXE) to what i have now (6000K HID)

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
i have 5k bulbs in now(standard H7). love the color. thats what im leaning towards. ill have to find the vortex thread but someone used TL projectors. im leaning towards doing it the old fashion way with pvc . im not a fan of the chrome shrouds and painting them runs a chance of flaking.
i know how the bulb ratings effect light output and visibility. a buddy of mine had 8k's and if it was dark and raining, they sucked.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, The TLs are at the top performance wise, but I dont like to Hackup the Housings that much. I like to keep everything as CLEAN as possible.

Scaling down the size of the projector (performance is not always lost) for an overall better fit.

The paint wont flake if you do it right! ;) Most people just spray it and forget it when a simple sanding and strong High temp paint will do nicely

·
Registered
508 Posts
i wish i could have had the pic of the hid's in stock reflectors when i worked at the auto part store. i had customers all the time that wanted them that didnt have projectors. i tried explaining it but they just didnt understand.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
greg show some of the others with the cleaner looking projector.. the evo x some might find really ugly .. i know i do :)

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
only reason i would ever do a jti swap. just to run the oem lens guards. nice work on the lights.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
so you just use a pvc cap for the back?
and im going to take a wild guess and say that you mount the projector straight to the reflector housing, and only some of the projector goes threw the back of the housing?

1 - 20 of 358 Posts