VW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently ive noticed alot of questions on exhaust systems for the mk4 i hope that this thread can answer all to most of those questions.

ok to start it off mk4 chassis has four different motor families the 2.0L 1.8T 1.9TDI and the VR6
first part of every exhaust system is the exhaust manifold this is where the exhaust first exits your engine and starts making its way to the atmosphere.

Exhaust manifolds
2.0L

1.8t varies on year

1.9 Tdi

vr6

after the header you will need a gasket inbetween the header and the downpipe they look like this
2.0l

1.8t

1.9tdi

vr6

now that you know what gaskets you need next comes the down pipe heres what they look like
2.0l

1.8t

1.9tdi stock on the right

VR6 stock on right

after the downpipe your centerpipe comes next this is usually where the resonator is located and then connects to your muffler.
2.0l

1.8t

1.9 tdi

VR6 R32 ed.

now as far as aftermarket goes theres hundreds of different setups you can run from 3inch turbo back/ cat back exhaust setups to 2.5inch cat back/ turbo back exhaust setups theres alot of different companies with different price ranges for what you are looking for.

generally the bigger you go the louder and more horsepower your exhaust can handle with minimal backpressure.

now after all this i know you guys still have questions so ive put together a bunch of threads and parts websites to help you out.

bunch of exhaust threads from various forums pertaining to mk4 exhaust

Feeler: Downpipe ALH/PD 2.5” Stainless Steel with or without CAT delete! - TDIClub Forums
MotiveMag Forums: APR vs custom exhaust
VWvortex Forums: 42DD Resonator Delete Pipe - Video
VWvortex Forums: Best sounding cat-back exhaust on a 12 valve VR6?
MotiveMag Forums: Dual exhaust on VR6 Jetta
Fourtitude Forums: mk4 jetta 12v vr6 EXHAUST HELP!
VWvortex Forums: Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?\
VWvortex Forums: Will a GTI/Golf Exhaust fit on a Jetta or vice-versa?
VWvortex Forums: A list of most of the 1.8T Transverse Exhaust Systems
VWvortex Forums: Magnaflow Catback DIY

general parts websites
http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/general-mk-iv-volkswagen-parts-websites-37092/

i think that sums all this up hopefully this helped in your search

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
god i need a beer my head is pounding from searching the web soo much

also if u guys know/ find ne thing else please post it below

·
Registered
2016 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2015 HD FLHTCUL
1,207 Posts
Very helpfull to the new/old vw owners. Now all we need is a thread on search engines so these people can help themselves a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is necessary? Essentially all the info you posted can be found by searching
yea but thats excatly what ppl dont do is search they just start new threads asking questions so im trying to eliminate repeat threads

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
This is necessary? Essentially all the info you posted can be found by searching
yea but thats excatly what ppl dont do is search they just start new threads asking questions so im trying to eliminate repeat threads
We currentlyhave a lot of things stickied, so I'll make a link to this in the FAQ section when it gets made, maybe this will encourage me to make it some day haha. For now I'll sticky it until then, but after that we will have to make a FAQ section although Im sure noobies just ignore that shit anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We currentlyhave a lot of things stickied, so I'll make a link to this in the FAQ section when it gets made, maybe this will encourage me to make it some day haha. For now I'll sticky it until then, but after that we will have to make a FAQ section although Im sure noobies just ignore that shit anyways.
thanks ttt im hoping the noobs use this and just dont overlook it

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a 1999 MK4 2.slow and I am looking into Exhaust, what would you recomend? I dont want something loud, but I want something deep. I was looking into magnaflow. Also what else can I do that will help increase HP thats not to expensive? I wish I had a turbo but being a broke college student I just couldnt afford it. Any ideas? Also my blinkers go way fast and I have tried replacing the relay and every bulb I could think of. I have after market headlights would that be the issue? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
find one of the major dealers for the mk4 exhaust like apr, 42draft designs, exc. they usually hav a sale goin on in the summer or sometimes year round on cat back exhaust kits your looking at close to 500 bucks tho for a good one not some cheap ebay crap that will prob leak. i personally am looking into an exhaust for my gti im almost set on apr just caz of the deep tone from the 1.8t with it

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 03 1.8t Exhaust looks a little diffrent i have 2 exhaust ports comming out the back instead of just one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts