please tell me if I'm wrong
I hope I am
and are Mexican built vw's crappy
I want to buy a mk3 jetta glx but I think that they are all made in Mexico

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some A2s were built in Mexico.

Most A-chassis cars for the US are built in Mexico now. I belive the GTI is built in Brazil. The higher end VWs we get(B platform(Passat), along with Touraeg(100% sure I spelled that wrong
) and Phaeton, are either built in Wolfsburg or Dresden.
All the cars for Europe are built in Europe, the exception being that all New Beetles for everywhere are made in Mexico.

Mexican/Brazilian made cars aren't bad at all, as I'm sure some can attest. My Mexican-made Beetle is just as good, if not better than, the Jetta Wagon I traded in for it(Variants, i.e. wagons, are built in Wolfsburg), and I've seen quotes from visiting Wolfsburg managers that say the same. I guess it's just something that everyone expects that they'd be bad quality. Many bits were made in Wolfsburg then just shipped to Mexico for assembly. It is some mental thing tho, that German VWs are better.

Apparently, the only VWs that were worse quality were the Westmoreland, USA built Rabbits, but I think there was some generic error that made that the case. The tooling from that factory was transferred to China to build A2s, btw.

For everyone that wants to know where your car was built, just go here: http://members.fortunecity.com/all_star00/vin.htm

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just checked to see where my car was made and I found out it was made in Wolfsburg, Germany. WOOHOO!

Now what does that mean? Is it just better german parts and assembly? hmmm?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
the quality and last could be a smidgen better/longer. i have a 90 Gti and i hanvt had any mechanical problems with the exception of burning oil but as you guys say, that is common for an older car. they use the same parts and plans to build them so there shouldnt be much of a differnece. to check, look under the hood on the top of hte fenders. its hard to see but there will be a VW/Audi symbol and somewhere around there if it says "hecho en mexico" or something along those lines it was made in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not all American market VW's are from the same factory. My 2001 GTI has a brizilian made tranny, but everything else is German content and assembly. The only real difference that I know of is that the Mexican made motors are reported to have more mechanical issues. As far as assembly, they seem to have a fairly equal standard.

There are also some GTI's showing up now that are made in South Africa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts