VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a easy-to-follow how-to on how to do a oil change on a 12v VR6? or any hints, or tips. I am going to be buying a floor jack soon, and need specifics on what filter to get, and other info. Any help is very appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i usually get a bosch filter but im thinkin of tryin a k/n filter next oil change which im happening to be doin this weekend coming up.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
Anyone have a easy-to-follow how-to on how to do a oil change on a 12v VR6? or any hints, or tips. I am going to be buying a floor jack soon, and need specifics on what filter to get, and other info. Any help is very appreciated. thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian the VR's filter is a BOITCH. It's an internal filter. Looks like this
here is one of the better articles I found on the web http://gti-vr6.net/library/engine/changing_oil.html

Found this one too http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=650410

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
Anyone have a easy-to-follow how-to on how to do a oil change on a 12v VR6? or any hints, or tips. I am going to be buying a floor jack soon, and need specifics on what filter to get, and other info. Any help is very appreciated. thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is a floor jack required? I'd like to start doing my own oil changes to save money. I was also thinking about putting synthetic oil in.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well, since I do this all day long, its pretty easy for me. But, as long as you know what you are doing, its pretty straightforward. Here's a step by step guide to change the oil on a 12V VR6.

1. Position your dub on jackstands or ramps. remember to block the rear wheels so it doesn't go anywhere.
2. Remove center belly shield. It uses 4 T25 Torx screws.
3. Loosen and remove oil drain plug from oil pan. Its 19mm. Reinstall when draining has ceased. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!
4. Take a 6mm allen key and remove the plug on the end of the filter cap to drain the filter housing. This beats the hell out of taking a bath in oil by removing it without draining.
5. Reinstall the filter housing plug, and then use a 36mm hub socket to remove the filter cap.
6. Remove old filter and O-ring, install new ones.
7. Reinstall filter cap, tightening to the good old german torque spec, "Gutentight."
8. Reinstall belly shield.
9. Lower car from jackstands/ramps.
10. Fill the engine with 6 quarts of the oil of your choice. I prefer Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40.
11. After running the car to check for leaks, go out and drive, your work is done.

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your help everyone. Im printing out this post now. also, are there any floor jacks that are better than others? any sugestions? thanks.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I'm bringing my own topic back from the dead...I just changed my oil this weekend for the first time. I used Valvoline 5w30 full synthetic oil with a stp oil filter (what they had at auto zone). What oil and filter do you vr6 guys use? And I didn't find a small rubber o-ring in the filter box, so I left the old one on. Will that be a problem? It was an easy job. I was surprised on how easy it was and how much money I would have saved if I would have changed my oil day one. And if you have any specific vendors you use to get your filters, that would be appreciated greatly. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
silverGTI said:
ok I'm bringing my own topic back from the dead...I just changed my oil this weekend for the first time. I used Valvoline 5w30 full synthetic oil with a stp oil filter (what they had at auto zone). What oil and filter do you vr6 guys use? And I didn't find a small rubber o-ring in the filter box, so I left the old one on. Will that be a problem? It was an easy job. I was surprised on how easy it was and how much money I would have saved if I would have changed my oil day one. And if you have any specific vendors you use to get your filters, that would be appreciated greatly. thanks in advance.
Buy the vw/audi oil filter and the price of an oil change doesn't seem so crazy anymore. I'm not sure if using some other brand of filter is okay or not - I'll let the tech give his 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
silverGTI said:
I have used Napa Gold $12ish and it does come with the "O" Ring.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. Dave do you get your filters from Napa Auto Parts? And you say it comes with the o-ring? Does it come with both (the large one and the little one too)? And how often do you guys change your oil? I have read that some people use 10w-40 and change every 15k miles?? What oil brand and grade do you guys use? thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I use only factory filters (as I work for the dealer, you all know that) but I have used Mann and Hengst before, which are VAG OEM suppliers. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

As for oil, I use 5W-40 Synthetic, either Castrol Syntec or this Agip stuff we have at work, which is pretty good. I might be going to Royal Purple synthetic soon though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts